Prologue

Quantum Hall, Sector 5, Nation Capital

A group of four, haggard looking women sat side by side, staring up at a man dressed in a crisp, perfectly tailored suit. He was clearly someone of great importance; an air of superiority rolled off of him in waves. His hair was slicked back, his shoes were shined with polish, and his tie was stiff straight. The man almost sneered down at the women who sat below him. He opened his mouth and spoke:

           "Welcome to Quantum Hall and welcome to the Nation's capital. You four have been selected out of thousands of women who applied to be surrogate mothers—surrogate mothers for the government. This entire operation will be known as Government Owned Property Children, or rather, GOP Children. This is a great honor, probably more so than you can understand."

The man said this last sentence with a tone of annoyance, as if they were too dimwitted to comprehend the gravity of what was occurring.

            "You were chosen based on your health and genetic record and of course, your clean criminal record. From the start of the pregnancy period you will be on a strict diet. You must only eat food your dietary expert allows, you must get a minimal of 8 hours of sleep a night, you will exercise as your instructor sees fit, and you will take all of the nutritional pills and medicines the baby will require. You will also submit to periodic testing in order to make sure the developing child is in a healthy state and is responding positively to the genes selected specifically for them."

The man suddenly stopped talking. He took a swig of water out of a canteen that stood on the podium in front of him. Droplets of water hung off his lips. The women that sat below him gazed at it hungrily, as if they hadn't seen something so pure in a long while. He continued.

          "As you know, genetically modified children have existed for over 35 years now, but these are quite unlike the others. They have a predetermined destiny, a life chosen for them by the government. You are to birth them, not raise them. You are not their mothers. In all technicality, yes, part of them has come from you, but when you signed up for this position you knowingly signed away all your rights to them. The only decision you will be allowed in their life are their names. You may give your assigned child one-first name. We will assign their last name. What we do with the children after birth does not concern you. You are to have no contact with the children. They have incredible futures ahead of them and cannot afford to be distracted."

Again, the man paused. He peered down at the women who stared back at him. Dead, cold eyes, he thought. The things people will do for money. The man put his thoughts aside, pushed his glasses back up to the bridge of his sweaty nose, and continued the rest of his speech.

               "Once the four infants are birthed, they will be under the government's care. These children will not be told they are the government's property until they have reached an age the Commander sees fit."

He took another deep breath and concluded,

           "Once agan, this is a great honor. You will bear the most influential beings this world has known. And, of course, you will receive your $300,000 dollars as promised once the child is born. Now, gather what belongings you have and follow me through the door to our left. From here on out you are the government's property. After the pregnancy you will be free to live your life. Thank your for your duty to your country."

The women picked up their belongings, which were few, and saying nothing walked out of the vast, marble hall, following the man who promised money.

Lab 51, Fort Mexley, Sector 10

The smell of chloride and change filled the labratory. 

          "I need the genes that indicate exceptional logistical skill implanted in this embryo in the next five minutes or it won't be able to accept it. If this becomes another unsuccessful attempt, the Panel and Commander will have our heads. "

        "Inserting the genes now, sir."

        "Good. In a half hour place the gene system for multi-lingual communication next. And a half hour after that, those that assist in data comprehension. We cannot fail on this. The Commander will have our heads if we don't cultivate them right."

       "Yes sir. Understood sir."

One Year Later. Olga Hospital, Sector 5, Nation Capital

The lank women whose clothes hung off their bony and malnourished frames a year ago were no longer recognizable. They were fit, muscular, and healthy. They had followed protocol, did exactly what their trainers instructed, and birthed four healthy, genetically modified children all at the same hospital, on the same day, in the same hour, in the same minute. And so the Government Owned Property Children were named: Andromeda, Kai, Layla, and Orion.

Like'd this chapter? Did you feel it was an okay opening? I hope you're excited to meet genetically gifted kids... Any feedback/comments would be really appreciated and I'm always willing to do the same for my wonderful readers!! If you enjoyed this chapter give it a vote