Kai

Chapter 32: Kai

Today's the big day, thought Kai. The weeks since his game with the Coyotte Browns had passed fast—they already beat the Ghost Whites, as expected.

Kai was constantly busy, going from rugby practice to training with Mr. Klick and then his other... meetings. He basically never got to see his friends, and worst of all, he didn't have time to save Layla from Ben's clutches. He knew he should just leave it alone, but he didn't trust that guy—not with Layla at least. Ben hadn't done anything particularly wrong, but he just didn't like him. Maybe that's just because he's with the girl you like, he told himself. Stop, it. Focus on the game. Focus.

He was lacing up his cleats, thankful that the Academy supplied all their gear. He didn't know how he would have paid for it otherwise. His stomach turned as he made his way onto the field, meeting his teammates. Someone was screaming his name, he assumed his friends in the stands. It only made his stomach worse, though. Normally he didn't get nervous before a game, but as he would be playing Josh and Marcus's team he felt a need to prove himself. Wilderness Classes with them had gotten worse exponentially; every time Mr. Klick turned around Josh would throw something at him or give him a swift kick to the shin. Layla was always working with Ben, so she was too busy to notice or to tell Josh off with her magic words and what not. Kai would do his best not to reciprocate anything back, but just last week he had had enough.

Mr. Klick had been writing something on the chalkboard about certain plant roots that give off essential nutrients when he heard Josh and Marcus sniggering behind him. Kai wasn't going to give them the satisfaction of turning around, so he focused on the notes. One minute he had been writing down plant names and the next minute he was on the ground. His chair was pulled out from under him—very sharply—and he fell face first onto the tiles. His lower lip busted and blood and dust filled his mouth. Mr. Klick had merely glanced in his direction while Josh and his sidekick were cackling, and said, "Kai, if you must make a distraction, at least try to stay in your seat."

And that had done it. Not only had he put up with Josh's bullying for weeks, but now his 'mentor' was making a fool of him in front of the class. Luckily Layla wasn't there—she had a Training Center session then, but he was sure Ben would tell her all about it by the smirk on his face.

He didn't even have time to pull out his rubbing stone before he was grabbing Josh by the tie of his uniform. Something dark had taken hold of Kai as he whispered in a dangerously low tone, "Try it again, Josh, I dare you. Leave me alone, or I'll make you pay."

A flicker of uncertainty—maybe even fear—passed through Josh's eyes before Mr. Klick shouted, "Kinsman! Put him down or I'll send you straight to the Director, I swear it on the New Nation."

Suddenly his anger subsided at the thought of being kicked out, and he let go of Josh's tie—slowly.

Mr. Klick looked satisfied enough, but said, "And if I see that again, you'll be gone from the Academy."

He turned back to the board. "Now, where was I? Oh, yes, as I was saying, a Triberia root has an almost everlasting supply of nutrients..."

But Kai wasn't listening to him anymore. He sat in his chair for the rest of class, thinking of how quickly he could have hurt Josh. It was as if all his fighting instincts, along with everything he had been learning from Mr. Klick, had turned on. He had been five-seconds away from putting Josh through the classroom wall if he hadn't gotten in trouble.

"Kai, come on!"

Annie's small figure, swallowed in gear two sizes too big for her, called him over, pulling his dark memory away from him. Their team gathered on the left side of the field, while the Celestial Blues were on the other. Josh's massive body wasn't hard to make out.