Layla

Chapter Seven: Layla

Getting to the airport and then onto the plane had been a hassle, but now the flight was just plain boring. At first Layla was sick with nerves and had to close her eyes and think of home just to make it through take-off, but after three hours she simply wanted something to do—a girl like her had to be entertained.
The people she sat with were extremely nice, especially a boy named Rion. She found him sitting in the window seat on their row, 23, but she was A which meant she got the window seat.
"Excuse me," she had said, "but on my ticket it says I have the window seat."
He immediately apologized and started to get up, looking longingly at the window.
"You know what, you go ahead and keep it. I like being in the middle anyway. I'm Layla, from Sector 7."
"Orion, from Sector 9, but everyone calls me Rion. Thanks for the seat by the way, I really want to see the ocean—if we go over one."
Layla replied, "Sure, don't mention it. What Sector are we going to anyway, d'ya know?"
The boy shook his head no, his blonde hair shaking with it, saying, "Nope, didn't hear a word about it. You would think it would have been mentioned though..."
"Maybe they're just trying to make the whole trip more exciting, by leaving us guessing room."
"Yeah, maybe," said Rion, although he sounded unconvinced.
It is weird that we don't know where we're going...but, oh well, it's an adventure, she thought dismissively.

Her thoughts turned back towards everything that had recently happened, thinking of the way everyone stared at her when she entered the airport at Sector 8. It was a normal occurrence, people looking at her. Layla actually felt quite odd without they eyes of people on her.
In fact, the only person who didn't stare at her with their mouth open was Rion, which was refreshing, although strange.
Everyone looked at her, especially boys.

Layla stretched, pulling against her seatbelt,  when suddenly a voice announced on the intercom.
"Now, we know it is New Year's Eve, and most of you are already tired of being on the plane, so the Academy has generously set up a slight celebration for everyone. You may now take off your seat belts and feel free to move about the cabin."
Suddenly three flight attendants came into the aisle from the back of plane, pushing large carts of what looked like food and drinks. Yes! Finally something to do on this ride.  Rion, who was fast asleep earlier, was fully awake now. One of the kids somewhere must have brought a speaker— fast paced pop music was fully heard by all 200 students on the plane.
Kids started getting up and moving around, striking up conversations with new people. Annie, the girl sitting next to Layla leaned in and said, "Hey guys, I think I'm gonna go say hi to people, ya know, get to know some of the kids we're spending the next four years with. Wanna come with?"
Layla, although bored, knew trying to walk around a hunk of metal thousands of feet up would not go over well with her.
"Uhm, I think I'll stay here and get a couple snacks."
"What about you Rion?"
"I think I'll stick with Layla for a bit and eat, but then I'll get up in a little!"
"Okay, see you guys later," and Annie ran off down the aisle.
One of the flight attendants dimmed the lights while the another was passing out little hats that read 'Happy New Year!'
Layla looked at her gold plated watch that she won at a beauty pageant her institution held and saw that it was only about 9pm, still four hours away from the New Year.
Oh well, at least we can celebrate, she thought.
"So what's your story?" she asked Rion. Layla was curious to hear about him; she didn't get to meet new people that often—almost everyone back home automatically knew her.
"What do you mean, 'my story?'" he questioned, giving her a sideways glance.
"You know, like why did they select you? It's all everyone can talk about here. Annie said she was chosen for her specialty with technology, apparently she made her first computer when she was seven! Crazy, right?"
"Oh—uhm yeah, that is crazy. I— I don't really know why they chose me. I mean when I got my letter he said it was because I was a leader, but I don't see how."
Layla looked thoughtful, chewing on her bottom lip. "I can see that.  I spotted you earlier in the airport; you were the first one to find our terminal and you offered to help everyone that was lost. Who's 'he' though?"
Rion looked shocked at Layla's assessment of him, but he said,"Oh, his name was Director Perrez, I think. He just delivered my letter."
Layla's expression became bewildered.  "He delivered your letter too? He told me that I was the only child he personally visited."
"Well, either he lied or somehow thinks we're the same person," Rion said in a grim tone.
"Doubtful," Layla said. "I'm much more attractive."
Rion laughed at this declaration. Layla suddenly thought of something.
"I wonder if that means he delivered everyone else's too and told everyone the same thing. Let's find Annie and ask her!" She paused. "Actually, on second thought... maybe you could go ask her? I'm not very fond of heights," she said while glancing past Rion and the window—the sky was pitch black except for the moon shrouded in a hazy pale yellow glow.
"Yeah, sure, I'll be right back," he promised, getting up from his seat and nudging past her.
She watched him go, the subject of Director Perrez troubling her.

Like'd this chapter? Didn't like it? Any feedback/comments would be really appreciated and I'm always willing to do the same for my wonderful readers!! If you enjoyed this chapter give it a vote