Chapter 3

{CHAPTER 3}

Dripping with blood, Cameron backed away from her. The blood came from his comrades lying on the floor, torn to pieces. He himself swayed from the effort of staying up. A few more blows and he would drop dead from the blood loss. 

Sophie's eyes gleamed; her throat ached even at the thought of a taste of his blood. Her fangs grew and yearned to pierce his tantalizing neck, drawing all life from him. She could suck him dry and no one would know. They would be none the wiser. No one would miss a piss-poor vampire like Cameron, they would be glad he'd died. 

He'd called her nothing but an abomination in years. He'd assisted in the death of her very parents. Hell, she had reason to kill him.  

Even now she could feel her muscles tightening, ready for the attack. Her mouth opened, inhaling his frightened scent. Her hands could already conceive the feel of his throat. Her ears imagined how the sound of his throat snapping would be. Her eyes glowed with unrestrained excitement. 

His blood would fall freely from his wounds, staining the ground. His final breathes would be hers and hers alone.  

She raised her head to the skies and let out an unforgiving laugh that made Cameron flinch. He didn't move, didn't breathe. He knew his last moments were coming and nothing he did could help him escape. 

She wouldn't make it easy for him though. He'd beg and cry before he died, she would make sure of that. He would plead for mercy just as her parents had. 

He was the prey and she the hunter. 

Without another thought, she gave in to the monster inside of her and launched herself at him, aiming for his neck. In the distance she though she heard him scream.

"No!" 

Sophie sat upright in bed, gasping. Her thoughts raced from her dreams. Her hands trembled where she gripped the blankets with pale hands. She raised her fists and pressed them against her eyes, rocking back and forth. 

"That wasn't me. That wasn't me. That wasn't me," she repeated to herself. 

It was the monster inside of her. She wouldn't intentionally kill so many people so ruthlessly. She wouldn't. 

She brought her hands down and gave a startled gasp. 

Red, red blood stained her hands, stained her mind when she closed her eyes and saw Cameron's death all over again.  

She opened her eyes slowly and stood on shaky feet.  

She'd take a shower and forget about it. She couldn't dwell on it, not now. There was no way to change what had happened and there was no use feeling guilty over it. She'd just moved to a new town and all focus needed to go into surviving. Survival was the key, so she'd forget about it all. 

Even with that resolution, the deep churning in her gut and the disgust she felt for herself wouldn't go away. 

Sophie showered quickly and got ready for her shift at seven, despite it being more than a couple hours early. She left the apartment ready for work, intending to walk around the neighborhood. 

The houses surrounding her were the normal all-American homes, with white picket fences and backyard dogs. The sidewalks were clean, the grass trim-cut. Cars lined the streets while trees bent over with willowing stands. It was peaceful, normal. 

She'd often spent time wondering what it was like to live in one of those homes.  

There had been the criticism, the dirty looks, and the petty comments that had all prevented her from having a normal upbringing. Both she and her parents had been condemned and mistreated by their own covenant. She'd hated it more than anything. 

Ever since The War between the Supernatural species hundreds of years ago, each hated the other. Each species was always fighting for the top position in the supernatural society. Wars were constantly waged against one another and nothing was ever solved. If anyone had asked Sophie, she'd have said they were all chauvinists with a superiority complex.  

Sophie looked up from her musing to look at the place before her with mild surprise. 

"The culprit returns to the scene of the crime," she mumbled to herself, amused. 

She looked around at Mansfield Park. It was different in the daylight; perhaps more safe. Still, something worried her. 

If the lack of police cars was anything to go by, she was in trouble. She'd been hoping the local police would find the old man, but as life loved to go against her, a covenant member had probably found him. Otherwise, police would be here. Covenants weren't sloppy enough to just hand over a vampire, albeit a dead one, to the police. 

Sophie felt a prickle along the surface of her skin making her look around her for the cause. A single person stood at the edge of the park, close to the forest lining the park. He was leaning on a tree, his back was facing her. She began walking towards him without understanding what she was doing. 

He was lean and athletically built from what she could make out and black hair shagged to his shoulders. Before she was even a few feet away, she knew what he was. Still, it didn't stop her from mindlessly moving toward the man. If she'd been focusing on her actions, she'd have been appalled at her recklessness for going to a vampire willingly. She was supposed to be avoiding them after all.  

She winced as a twig snapped under her foot. 

Kieran spun around and encountered a stunning face with big blue eyes widened in surprise. Pitch black hair hung in waves to her lower back and bangs covered part of her face. She wore a tight fitting collared shirt and snug black jeans that revealed perfect curves.  

Then, her scent threw him off. Vanilla and earth but with something more.  

"You were -" he began and stopped suddenly. How would he explain he knew she was there? 

The girl cocked her head to the side. 

"What about me?" 

He didn't answer, only continued to stare at her. What was it about her scent that was so unusual? It wasn't like any human's he'd met before and yet it wasn't like any supernatural creatures' either. He watched as she shifted from foot to foot obviously uncomfortable with his stare. 

"What are you?" 

The girl's eyes widened in surprise and her mouth opened slightly. "I-I don't know what you mean." Her eyes moved on the ground. 

"Yes, you do." Her reaction was proof enough. He stepped closer to her. All he needed to do was figure out that scent. It had driven him crazy all of yesterday and he'd be damned if he let the source of it get away now. He'd figure out what her involvement to the old man's case was and he'd make damn sure he figured out why her scent stuck with him so much. "Who and what are you exactly?" 

Sophie saw the determination in his eyes and stepped back, then mentally cursed herself for retreating. When he stepped toward her again, she made sure to keep her ground. She wouldn't back down. He closed the distance between them in a few short strides. She had to look up to meet his light gray eyes that for a single moment startled her at their clarity.  

"How about you tell me who you are first?" She refused to back down and held her eyes steady with his. 

"I am Kieran, supervisor of this area. Now, little one, care to tell me who you are now?" 

Shit. Not just a vampire, but the covenant leader and Overseer. Life was a real bitch, wasn't it?

_________

Hello! vote, comment, fan!!!