Chapter 6

{Chapter 6}

Sophie waked along the stone border of the massive property, slinking through the shadows, alert and very cautious. The stone walls were seven feet high, permitting only a view of the trees inside the property. Though she didn't need to see, because the layout of the house was in her head. She'd spent most of her life inside those walls.  

Returning to Covenant Nightshade's house was beyond risky. Too many obstacles and chances were not in her favor. 

A barrier was up along the outer edges of the property, courtesy of some witches her old covenant had collaborated with some years ago. Inside, four guards walked the perimeter regularly; they were replaced onsite by the next guards, leaving no chance for an opening. After all, the covenant house lodged the Elders. Their members contained the best of their kind that didn't hold positions in their hierarchy. That alone was another form of protection.  

She'd need to find a hole in the barrier and squeeze through it without triggering an alarm, which would have been difficult if she was like normal people who couldn't see the barriers. From there she'd sneak past the guards, using every possible shadow she could to secretly enter the house. Noticing the new addition of cameras to their security, she calculated the angles and blind spots from which she could enter.  

Sophie was busy strategizing on how to get through all the other occupants of the house, all of which were far more skilled, when she felt a hand land on her shoulder. She nearly screamed and was already preparing a story about how she was lost. Any sort of conflict would alert the other guards, so she wanted to hold off on killing any more people. Besides, another death would only make the Elders more intent on finding her. She turned with a nervous smile plastered on her face. 

Sophie blinked in surprise. Grace stared back at her with an amused expression. 

"God, did you have to scare me? I thought you were one of the guards!" 

"You're getting sloppy, Soph." Grace smiled brightly. "Well at least that's what I thought until I noticed that knife in your hand." 

Sophie looked down at the knife hidden in the sleeves of her shirt slightly out of sight. She smiled. 

"It was insurance - just in case my story about being lost didn't pan out." 

"Nice to see you haven't forgotten all of your training while you've fled the nest." 

"Never." Sophie waited a beat more before she threw her arms around her best friend and squeezed as hard as she could. Grace laughed and squeezed back.  

Grace had grown taller since the last time they saw each other. Her wavy blond hair had grown a few inches to rest a few inches past her shoulders. Her friend's green eyes had remained the same luminous color, though they seemed more mature than before and she was sorry for it. Sophie knew some of the shadows she saw in Grace's eyes were because of her. 

"This is nice and all, but we should probably get away from here," Grace told her as she drew back. "There's a new café a few blocks from here that I've been dying to try." 

Sophie laughed and hooked her elbow through her friend's, allowing her to lead the way. They looked like any ordinary pair of friends discussing a late night out, which was exactly their objective. 

The café was closed like any other store at one in the morning. Grace led her to the alleyway and up a flight of stairs lining the building. A fluorescent blue door was at the top, slightly open. Sophie looked around, suspicious while her friend continued through the door, completely carefree. 

Sophie hesitated at the door, unsure. 

"Well, come on, we don't have all day." Grace smiled in reassurance and then sighed in impatience when she still didn't move. "It's much safer in here than it is out there. Trust me." One hand on her hip, she gave Sophie a stern glare and pulled her inside the room.