Chapter 7

Kieran's hand had moved from her chin to her cheek, stroking it with his thumb in a calming manner. With the look of worry etched in his eyes, Sophie figured she must look something close to harried. 

Warring with herself mentally, she broke away from Kieran's touch to think. I was impossible to form any coherent thoughts with him that close. She paced the room and put two fingers to her temples, messaging the ache growing there.  

Having the tempting Overseer staring at her that way did nothing to calm her thoughts. She'd spent enough time over the past few weeks thinking of him. Thinking of their heated encounter. She liked being in control, needed to be in control in any situation, but something about that man told her it wouldn't be possible with him. She couldn't afford to be in a relationship right now, she told herself. She couldn't afford it even more now with him involved in the complicated mess that was her life. 

Every instinct was telling her not to trust them, that the only person she could trust was herself. After all, hadn't this man been chasing her just a few says prior? She had enjoyed the chase, but that was a completely separate matter.  

Nothing good had ever come from trusting others, she reminded herself. At the same time, she scolded herself for not factoring in Grace. She had come through for her a number of times. She wouldn't have taken her to someone she didn't trust completely and although Sophie didn't know how her friend came to be associated with these people, she did trust her judgment.  

It was too much to ask of her. She remembered very little of what actually happened that day and a little voice in the back of her head told her she was better off not remembering. She wanted more time to think, knew she didn't have any. 

She groaned as the ache grew stronger. Pausing in her pacing, she leaned against a wall and slid down until she was sitting. 

"You okay?" she heard Kieran's husky voice ask.  

"Yeah, it's just that things got really complicated really fast." Closing her eyes, she breathed deeply and willed a decision to form in her mind. Nothing came, so she reached into her pocket, opened her eyes, and flipped a coin. 

She cursed and turned her gaze to Kieran and Graham. "I can tell you what I know, but it isn't much. I don't exactly remember much about what happened that day." 

"You decided to tell us on a quarter?" Graham's voice held amusement and not a little disbelief. 

She shrugged. With the serious atmosphere evaporated, he laughed and came to sit beside her. He threw one hand over her shoulders, surprising her with the intimate action. He tightened his grip around her when she started to squirm. 

She sighed in exasperation. "What is it with you and the flirting?" 

"No man with a pulse can ignore someone like you, sweetheart." Graham gave her another charming smile. "Besides you need to loosen up some, we won't bite." Mischief glowed in his eyes. "Unless you ask us to, of course." 

Sophie looked up to ask Kieran a question, but stopped abruptly when she noticed the profound scowl on his face. With startling apprehension, she realized he was jealous. Like an animal defending his territory, she thought wryly. An unfamiliar feeling of female satisfaction washed over her, surprising her further. Right then, she made her decision. Rather than being weary or cautious of their attraction, of his pursuit, she could have fun with it. And now, all she wanted to do was take her mind off things with a little harmless teasing. 

Sophie turned, smiled sweetly, and eyed Graham exaggeratedly. "Oh? And what if I want to do the biting?" 

Graham let out a bellowing laugh as Kieran's frown grew to a glare. She had no doubt in her mind that he knew what she was playing at and felt an almost irresistible need to giggle.