Chapter 2

{CHAPTER 2}

Kieran woke up to the sound of pounding at his door. At once alert, he sat upright immediately. His years in The War had him looking around the room wildly for a sign of intruders. He saw nothing and turned his head in the direction of his door when the banging came again. 

"Kieran! We've got a problem!" 

Glancing at the clock on the nightstand, he saw it was midnight. Grumbling, he got out of bed and walked to the door, pulling it open to a frantic looking Rowan. 

"What's so important you need to wake me now?" he glowered at his best friend causing him to look even sorrier. 

"Man, I'm sorry, but we've gotten another case, an Uncreatable. A vampire, an old man this time about sixties, found in Mansfield Park." Rowan looked at his leader anxiously. Kieran immediately went into Leader mode. 

"Are you sure?" Kieran asked calmly, though his eyes betrayed him. A fire burned in them. 

"Yes, he was found about an hour ago and his body is being escorted here for Sam to examine." 

"What?" Kieran showed the first sign of alarm now. 

Rowan only nodded. "He was dead when one of our own found him. A knife was thrust into his heart. We tried tracking whoever the bastard was, but there wasn't anything to go on. No tracks, no scent. Nothing. The bloody weapon wasn't even there." 

"No scent?"  

"Only a humans, but even if he was a weak vampire, a human still wouldn't have been able to kill him. The missing weapon doesn't help our case either." 

Kieran mulled it over. "You said Sam is examining him?" Rowan nodded. "Good, call me with the results when he's done." 

He turned to his closet and pulled out clothes, effectively dismissing Rowan.  

Nothing could have peaked his interest more. A new Uncreatable was found, dead this time by someone unknown. Someone who left behind no scent or tracks. 

If his men hadn't found the body, it could have raised a lot of questions for the humans, even the ones who were aware of their existence. The Uncreatables needed to be kept under wraps. Kieran had yet to report about them to the Council, wanting to investigate on his own before Officials decided to step in. 

Within minutes, Kieran was in his car heading to Mansfield Park.  

Upon arriving at the park, Kieran immediately recognized two of his men prowling the edges of the park. To anyone else, they were only men who had decided to take midnight walks. Dressed in casual clothes any human would wear, they took up normal activities that wouldn't alert or cause suspicion. Jacob, the closest to him, sat on a bench with a newspaper in his lap, his eyes alert nonetheless. 

He approached them casually, with easy strides. The other man on the eastern side of the grounds looked up to the sound of footsteps. 

"Sire." Jacob stood and bowed. "We have the surrounding area covered by two others beside myself and John." He referred to the man a few yards away, alert and ready for anything. 

"What's the situation?" 

"Contained. The body has been extracted and any remaining evidence of the attack is being erased." 

"And what of the scent?" 

"The scent, sir?" Jacob looked at his superior, surprised. 

"I've been informed a single human scent remained after extraction."