Chapter Thirty-Four ⚜ Invisible Fire

The trip leading to the opening of the caves where the Chicovas used to reside was short, however, their conversation was rich with the topic of Aneeka and Genevieve leaving their ranks for something else. The first semester of the year had just ended, yet a lot of things happened.

Ever since Valeriana joined the Twelve, they have been jolted into an endless bout of activity that left no room to breathe. It was a little overwhelming, but could not get any better—or worse.

"I can't believe Genevieve and Aneeka left the academy." Tamara plucked off a strand of hair from her head and twirled it around her fingers. A small pout twitched on her lips before disappearing into a flat purse.

"We're still not sure if that's true," Charles countered.

"But what if it is? I'm sure Zevlin is devastated right now. Those two haven't been separated since ever. They do everything together," the third replied.

"Perhaps some things in life require a change of pace. Those two aren't going to be together forever. They need to find their own way. After all, although they come from the same place, doesn't mean they're for the same thing," Valeriana said. "I'm guessing Genevieve has to find what suits her the most. If this is true."

"Which makes perfect sense." Charles nodded. "Sometimes people will know of their true purpose only when they travel down a path alone. Surrounding yourself with the people you've grown comfortable with will only hold you back from growing. I'm not holding anything against the two, but a heads up would've been nice."

"Well, well, look at you being such a smartass." Tamara gave him a sharp look.

"I have always been smart. A posterior? I don't think so." Charles shook his head.

"Ha! Who says denial is a river in Egypt? It's not! But you being an ass is a matter-of-fact. In fact it has a stick sh—"

"Don't you dare finish that sentence, Tamara." The fourth-ranker glared at her.

[A/N: I swear to god if you ask how Tamara knows about Egypt, I'm gonna shove your faces back to book 1]

"You don't ever let me finish that sentence!"

Despite their usual bickering, Valeriana felt that the relationship between Tamara and Charles had improved a lot. They usually had an air of tension around the two of them whenever they would talk. This was something that, no matter how much they tried to keep under the rags, would seep through like blood on fabric. However, they didn't have the usual electricity crackling about. Instead, they seemed to talk easier.

The rowboat came to a stop beside the rumbling falls. A thick mist dampened the air around them as Rowe pulled on a rock and tied the boat against the nail hammered on a huge boulder to prevent them from getting swept off by the currents. The nail was as thick as a wrist and seemed reliable enough.

"We need to climb these boulders and get to that spot over there, do you see it?" He pointed to the dark entrance behind the falls. It was quite a climb, but there were huge boulders that were somewhat acceptable as stairs. They were wide enough to be able to balance oneself while trekking, but should they fall over, they still had the lake to catch them. Still, these 'steps' were higher than the average person. Hence, they would need to stretch and climb.

Valeriana knew of her clumsiness and feared cracking her head open. She had done wall climbing before but her safety was assured by the line. She gazed at it in worry. After feeling the surges of demonic energy from the caves, she mustered her courage and was the first to climb up. She put Tiger on the top and he obediently started climbing by himself.

"Smart cat." She smiled.

She balanced herself and inserted her foot in crevices before hoisting up her body with great difficulty.