Chapter Seventeen ⚜ Unanimity

They were joined neither by the current lord nor the next one for lunch—contrary to Eres' earlier statement. Keelan dined luxuriously—bountiful plates on the table. Servings for ten instead of two. Valeriana tasted each and every dish, realizing Denovegasian tastes leaned on saucy dishes paired with either long-grained rice or mashed potatoes. Included among the entrée was grilled fish with chili-soaked vinegar and fried vermicelli noodles. For dessert, they were served creamed caramelized biscuit and mango layers that made her float to cloud nine—it wasn't too sweet to make her choke. It was just right.

Everything was served fresh, so the quality of the food was superb and satisfying. Valeriana enjoyed her lunch with Keelan—both of them barely talking to one another as they were both focused on filling their stomachs.

"I can eat like this all day," Valeriana commented.

"Me too."

The staff looked on with amusement, but they did not do anything else aside from watch, take away the empty plates, and pour drinks into their glasses. Keelan continued wolfing down the food on his plate until there were no more than two dishes left between the two of them.

"I was hoping Corvan could come," he said.

Valeriana was just swallowing, having gasped at the mention of Corvan and choking badly. She coughed with the food in her mouth so she covered her lips and shut her teeth close as she grabbed for the water and forced it down.

Keelan looked up, concerned, but a small teasing smile appeared on his lips. "Are you okay, Val? Did you eat too much?"

She shook her head and composed herself. Once she was done coughing, she leaned back on her seat and took a deep breath. "I'm fine. It's nothing."

"They say not to eat too fast or you'll choke."

Valeriana sighed.

"Did you give back Corvan's ring?" he then asked.

She paused at his question. "I tried to, but he didn't accept," she said. However, she didn't really feel like opening the topic, so she looked up and gazed at Keelan who sat across her. "Don't have any girl you like, Keelan?"

He looked at Val for a moment, a look on his face that asked why she was asking before shaking his head. "I don't have any," he said. "I'm just not interested—in relationships I mean. They look so complicated. Take for example, my mother and father, Manilla and Eres—" the staff gasped loudly at the mention of Lord Eres and Lady Manilla's name, as though the biggest controversy had been confirmed. "—you and Corvan—"

"Wait, what?"

"—there's also, probably, Aneeka and Rowe," he continued nonchalantly. "I rather like the simplicity of my life as it is, really. If possible, I don't plan on taking a wife. Kava will be taking the position anyway, so it's relatively easier for me as second son."

"Kava means?"

"Older brother," he replied. "As long as I can properly perform my duties as future duke and take the position of commander of the continental knights, then I can die—relatively free."

Valeriana shook her head as they finished the rest of the food.

"Not happening, young man!" a voice boomed. "I need grandchildren! The bigger the family, the better!"

The staff suddenly burst into activity. The head of the table got dressed with silverware, the proper utensils laid out. More food was brought out from the kitchen and set to the table. The sudden flurry made Valeriana look up in confusion, her head swiveling to the direction of the door.