Chapter Four ⚜ White Jade Sphere

Valeriana was in the sitting room of her floor, munching on a bunch of chips as she went through book after book about Valemnian culture and heritage. She did not usually use the other rooms at her disposal because it did not feel right, but she figured that she had to make them useful.

Her purpose was to learn more about Valemnian customs and how the world generally worked. She figured that it was about time she did, especially since her involvement with the place exceeded a simple tourist visit. If she continued going around without sufficient knowledge, she would end up embarrassing herself-not that she hadn't already.

"Government system is something like half-democracy, half-aristocratic thing. How the heck do they work things out?" she muttered aloud.

"Because there exists two circles within the sovereign. One is composed of the noble families and the other half has members elected by the people, the Court. Justice and other things are left to the Court to handle, while the aristocrats handle affairs concerning territory and the managing of the smaller lands."

Hearing another voice, Valeriana looked over her shoulder and saw that Lord Aeron had entered her private sitting room. She wasn't too surprised seeing him come. This guy had a bad habit of appearing when he was unneeded, and disappearing when needed.

"Lord Aeron, what's up?"

There was absolutely no use driving this man away as he obviously would not go unless he felt like it. He danced to his own song.

"Where's Lord Lienhard gone to? You two aren't together?"

"Lien is still the archduke and he has responsibilities, considering how long he's been shirking them."

"Don't you have those, too?" she asked, deciding to focus her gaze on the book she was reading.

"I get them done unlike him." He chuckled, taking his place on the couch across Valeriana's.

"So, what can I help you with?"

"Must I have a reason to see you?"

"Well, you never came without having one." She looked at him pointedly, closing the book with her finger between the pages.

"Alright, alright . . . you should be approaching your date of birth tomorrow. Actually, it's soon midnight. I'll have to greet you a happy birthday in advance." His eyes twinkled as he rested his chin on his hand.

Valeriana gave Aeron a look of warning. "What are you planning?"

"I'm not planning anything. In fact, I was wondering if you were planning on anything. I heard the coming-of-age for women in your world is eighteen and requires a grand celebration."

"Pssh." She flicked her hand dismissively. "Ever since my father died, I didn't look forward to my eighteenth birthday."

"Why not?"

"Because he promised he'd dance with me," she muttered. "And we both know that's not going to happen."

There was a short pause.

"Why hold yourself back? Your father will not be happy."

Valeriana tried to focus on the book but found it hard to so she threw it on the table before her and leaned back, her head tipping past the couch. "Because he never missed my birthdays and he was always there at every moment, just like mom. When I had my birthday last year, it just felt so empty. I could not feel as happy as I wanted to be." She pulled herself back and looked at the Court Leader who gazed at her questioningly.

"Are you scared you'll feel like that, again?" he asked. "The Twelve will not be happy knowing you did not tell them."

"What they don't know won't hurt them."