Chapter Ten ⚜ New Age

It was a high chair gilded with gold. The frame had an intricate design with a pair of wings curling around the sides in a form similar to a pigeon which had its wings raised on its back, preparing to flap down. The majesty of the chair gave Valeriana a sense of fright, especially since it held an air—a presence like no other. Beside the chair was a smaller one, more humble in a sense, yet still sophisticated in all ways imaginable.

They had all vacated the ballroom and, instead, went inside a wide room where the king usually held an audience. This room had a long history as this was where the official throne sat.

Valeriana accompanied Seraphina and stood beside the aisle. The audience kept themselves strictly behind the line drawn on the floor and watched calmly from the sides. The prince wasn't anywhere in sight, yet the king had already taken his place beside the large throne in all his grandeur. He wore an intricate golden crown lined with small dots of diamonds and a variety of gems—sapphires, emeralds, rubies, topazes, and such. Around his shoulders was a thick, white cape lined with fur tipped with gold. In one of his hands was a sword, the other had a sceptre of some kind.

PHOTO OF DENMARK'S CROWN FOR REFERENCE

"Where's Prince Bertram?" Valeriana asked

"He's fine. He's behind the doors as we speak," Seraphina replied. "Once the procession starts, he will enter and the rest will be ceremony."

"Hopefully nothing goes wrong this time," she said.

"I hope so as well," the woman told her. "Don't worry."

Valeriana nodded and looked over her shoulder to scan the crowd for Corvan. Even so, he wasn't anywhere she could see. She looked at the ring around her finger and thought it was time she gave it back, yet something always happened that made her forget.

"We gather here today—" began the king's loud voice. It reverberated with intensity, making people's heads turn to his direction. "—to witness Crown Prince Bertram von Seigmond de la Rosellevienne ascend to the royal throne of Valemnia to serve as your king and the ninety-sixth monarch of this world. And today, I will also step down from the position and retire from my post. It has been quite an experience serving as the face of unity, and the gods know that I have done my best to make your lives, in the very least, bearable. I thank those whose support I have received throughout all these years—to my wife, Ayslia . . ."

"Blessed be Queen Ayslia, may her soul be at peace," echoed the crowd.

Valeriana stammered along the crowd. ". . . peace." She looked around, hoping no one heard her.

"And to my old friend, Edeltraud. I pray you are in a better place."

"Oh right, butler guy," she whispered, then sighed.

"My brother, Archduke Lord Lienhard. I am hoping you will continue to guide my son in his reign." He smiled at the archduke's direction, making Valeriana tiptoe just to see whatever his reply was. Unfortunately, she missed it.