Chapter Nine ⚜ The Advent of a Song

Valeriana felt worried about Bertram, but heeded the king's advice instead. They made their way down to the ballroom where the performance just ended and the room had erupted into applause. The crowd was no longer just concentrated before the stage, but there were several people on different points around the room, which Valeriana was guessing were knights.

Tamara approached them with a big smile. "Your Majesty!"

"Lady Tamara," said the king with a bright smile.

She then lowered her voice but maintained the happy charade. "We have scoured high and low and are still keeping watch around the immediate vicinity. So far, nothing strange has happened. I trust the prince is well."

"Yes, yes, he is." Laedin nodded. "I immediately had him confined should anything have happened."

"Everything seems to be clear. There's no need to panic. We'll do our best—there's still Lady Seraphina and the other knights. I'm sure no demon would dare attack with this many veterans around." She smiled.

"Thank you," he told her. "The coronation ceremony will start in an hour. We only need to hold out until then."

"Yes, of course. We'll continue looking around for any signs of suspicious activity. We may be still just students, but you can rest assured we will do our best to make sure that nothing happens today."

"Thank you, Tamara. Go on, then. I will not bother you young folks. I will see to some matters. Continue enjoying the night." He then turned to Valeriana. "If there is any problem at all, Valeriana, do not hesitate to ask for my help."

"I will do so, Your Majesty."

He smiled at Tamara once more and gave Valeriana a gentle pat on the back. Tamara nodded back at him and beckoned for Valeriana to come with her while the king went to another part of the room. Kylon approached him, curtsying before starting to speak. Valeriana didn't get a chance to hear what they were saying and was dragged away by the third-ranker.

"Come on, Val. We have to prepare for the coronation in the coming hour."

The Twelve weren't allowed to directly take part in the entire issue, considering they were students. However, they were asked to keep a lookout within the ballroom should anything suspicious happen. On the other hand, Corvan and Rowe were lucky enough to be brought along. They accompanied the knights for a quick scan of the area outside the walls of the palace and later came back to join the others.

"How'd it go?" Valeriana curiously asked the two.

Rowe shook his head. "There is nothing, everything seems safe. We'll stay wary just in case."

Valeriana nodded. The trigger might've been caused by Prince Bertram's spontaneous 'transformation'. Right now, the girl wasn't too confident if her 'purification' will last. She didn't have any idea what was going on. She had no inkling as to what the infection really was.

"Why does everything look so gloomy?" they heard someone say.

Turning, they saw the twin, diabolical, old men—Lords Lienhard and Aeron—looking about the room from the entrance. In an instant, the Twelve's faces either soured or their brows shot up to their hairline. These two late comers—such attention-seekers. One would expect the archduke and court leader to arrive earlier than everyone else considering they were of higher stature and needed to show propriety, but that was just not the case.

The two lords made their way down the stairs and dismissed the man who was about to announce their arrival. Aeron cackled and said, "My friend, do not bother!"

The man jumped in fright as the lord's hand landed on his shoulder. He stilled in shock but Lord Aeron paid no heed to his reaction and continued flying down the stairs like it was nothing. Lord Lienhard was the same.