Girlfriends and Stalkers

"So, uh, can I ask you something?" Malea was back at her own house with less pain, and Zack had just gotten the car fixed.

"Shoot." Zack was sprawled on the couch, sipping a coke.

Malea leaned against the doorway, very interested in the wood. "So... would you really care if I dated Angela?"

Zack took a swallow. "Not at all. You've already been out on a few dates."

"So my girlfriend can come over tomorrow?"

Zack almost spit out his drink. "Girlfriend? Malea, you've been out twice. And I would like a little more warning than 'tomorrow' when it's eight o'clock."

Mal winced. She was afraid he'd go to the protective brother side. "It's not like that. I want you to meet her, and I want your approval."

His eyes narrowed at her. "But you'll still date your girlfriend without my approval."

Malea stepped forward accusingly. "Was that a jibe about my sexuality?" Her voice was deadly low, dripping venom.

Zack looked hurt. "Of course not! You know I support you! I was trying to make the point that you're being hypocritical by already calling her your girlfriend right as you say you want my approval!"

It was Mal's turn to look hurt. "Hypocritical? How could you say that?! You've always been fine with everything I do, but now it's such a big deal I use a common and simple description?"

Zack stood and walked over to her. "Don't get snappy..." He almost growled it.

"I was asking an honest question!"

"You could try doing it with a little less attitude!"

"Oh so now this is about how I talk? What the hell is wrong with you today? You're being a complete irrational ass!"

A vein in Zack's neck stood out as he grinded his teeth. Then he abruptly turned around and headed up the stairs.

Malea knew she went a step too far, and followed after him. "Zack! Zack, please--"

He whipped around on the stairs, towering over Mal, a step lower. "Mal, just--" He suddenly sighed, and sat down on the stairwell. "It's not your fault. I'm sorry."

Mal sat down next to him. Zack put his face in his hands, to hide the fact he was close to tears. "What's wrong?"

Zack took a deep breath and shook his head. "You're my little sister. I shouldn't tell you."

"I can be a friend instead of your little sister for awhile."

"Mal--"

"Tell me. Please." She insisted, lifting her brother's chin to look him in the eyes.

Zack sighed and leaned his head against the wall. "When I was getting the car fixed, there was a man... I don't know... he was just watching me... I looked away for a minute, and when I looked back, he was gone," Zack sighed again and looked at Malea. "I'm sorry. It just... just scared me a little, and I guess I made that into anger at you."

Malea's eyes were wide with fear. "Did the man... did the man have a plain look to him with brown hair and dark sunglasses?"

Zack looked puzzled. "Yea, he did. How did you--"

"That day we were at the mall I saw him watching me. I think he's stalking us. I haven't seen him since them... but that doesn't mean he wasn't watching." A chill ran down her spine. What does he want?

Zack gripped her shoulders hard enough to break the bone. "Why. Didn't. You. Tell. Me." He was struggling not to yell at her.

Mal bit her lip. "I... I don't know. We don't even know who this guy is, we can't turn him in to the police."