CHAPTER TWO

Despite how uncomfortable the floor is, it sure beats sleeping in a tree. So as a result, I sleep like a baby. Only to be woken by Carol early in the morning.

"Kara honey, we've come to a house. We're just gonna have a look around and see if there’s any danger and if not we'll set up the table and have a Christmas breakfast."

I sit up feeling groggy, my stomach rumbling at the thought of food. It’s been 2 days straight since I’ve had a decent feed.

"Okay thanks, you can go I'll meet y'all in there in a sec. Just gotta use the bathroom." I tell her.

She nods and walks out while I head to the toilet.

When I’m done, I get out and admire the house.

Damn, whoever owned this house must have been filthy rich. It’s situated up on a hill, isolated from the town below. There’s giant iron gates that we must have managed to get through when I was asleep. The house itself isn’t really a house, more of a miniature mansion.

"Can’t we just load up supplies and stay here for a few weeks?" I ask

Carl turns around and smiles at me but doesn’t say anything.

"What’s that smile for kid?"

"You drool in your sleep!" He laughs pointing a finger at me.

Why that little! I march up to him, he tries to dodge me but doesn’t succeed in his escape and I give him one hell of a wedgie.

By now, I’m aware of everyone’s laughter around me and Carl and I soon join in.

After we're all done checking the premises for walkers we head inside.

The house is nice on the inside too; it’s wide open and spacious. I spot the kitchen almost instantly and make a beeline for the cupboards.

"Fuck it! It’s empty!" I shout. I’m so hungry right now; I could go all walker style and eat someone.

"Language" Carol murmurs.

I sigh and look around.

You can tell no one’s been here for a while, there’s a lot of missing stuff.

Lori walks in with a bag of stuff and places it on the dining table. I get a peek at the top and my mouth waters instantly.

Vegetables!

"Lori! Where’d those come from?"

She smiles. "I picked 'em from somebody’s back yard the day we found you, we went to the supermarket to add to it but well, you know the rest. Looks like were having stew for dinner."

Lori and Maggie use the fireplace to cook up a stew. In it are vegetables and some form of meat.

My stomach grumbles impatiently while we wait, so to take my mind off things I play snakes and ladders with Carl.

"Yes!" I say standing up triumphantly, grinning like an idiot.

"No fair you cheated!" Bellows Carl.

"Sorry kid but I won fair and square." Only a small lie.

I see Daryl roll his eyes at me from behind Carl and I stick my tongue out at him.

"I want a rematch." Demands Carl, clearly unhappy.

"Sorry sweetie," Lori says walking in. "But its lunch time."

With the mention of food, Carl and I soon forget our bickering and race each other to the table.

Maggie places a hot bowl in front of me and I dig in as if I haven’t seen food for weeks.