Chapter 9

"You made up your mind to leave it all behind." - 'Fall Away' by The Fray.

"Liam!" I yelled as I came to the bottom of the staircase. He came out from the TV room where he and the other boys were watching movies. 

He spotted me and then Zayn behind and gulped.

"OK, so I'm never telling you to do anything ever again since you're obviously an idiot," I said to him.

"Oh, I-" Liam stuttered.

"What were you thinking, man? Letting him go by himself?"

I could hear laughter from the other room and called out, "You too!" to the other boys. "And you let him drive a car which he isn't insured on, because he doesn't have a freaking driver's licence!"

"I'm sorry!" Liam cried and he began rambling on like a phycologist's patient. "I felt bad about keeping a tab on him and I'm not good at lying or hiding things from people and I knew he'd figure it out and  -"

"Dude, shut up," I groaned. "It's fine, he knows everything."

"Thank God," he muttered.

I rolled my eyes and couldn't help but think that he was a bit of a wuss, but he didn't seem all that bad.

"Lana, I'm home!" I yelled, slamming the door behind me.

"Oh, great!" she sighed with relief. "I need help," she said, running down the stairs. "Come on!"

Her room was worse than mine - and trust me, that's saying something. The floor was invisible underneath all her clothes. Her wardrobes were open and empty and I had to step on her personal belongings to move around. I winced as I took my foot off her hairbrush.

"Damn, Lana," I muttered. "I swear down when I pack it won't be half as messy as this."

"OK, so black heels, or- wait what?" She cut herself off and looked at me curiously dropping her heels.

I'd forgotten that Lana didn't know. "Zayn asked me to come on tour with him...and I said yes," I said, awkwardly. "I figured university doesn't start for a while, I still got time and, well, why not, y'know?"

"Aw, Saniya, that's great!" she gushed. "I know you'll love it, you're like all the boys combined! You have to teach Louis all your pranks and we'll Skype everyday, right?"

I raised an eyebrow. "Everyday? Lana, if I talk to you everyday, I'll get so bored that one day, I'll punch my laptop screen!"

She giggled. "Every week?"

"I'll try. You'll have so much to do though."

She turned to her empty suitcases and began throwing things in at random, no longer thinking of their uses. "It feels crazy," she murmured, tilting her head to look at me. "My art course in Barcelona, you're in Cambridge going to Australia."

"Well, I'll be back pretty soon - you're going for years, man."

She breathed out deeply, as though trying to hold back tears. Lana hated goodbyes; come to think of it, I did too. I just didn't show it much.

Niall was in tears at the airport. People stared and fangirled to themselves, but he only looked at Lana, as though wishing she wasn't going. Liam, Zayn, Louis and Harry were all there for moral support and stood a little behind us, letting us have our little moment. I held onto Lana's carry on, while Niall reluctantly checked in her suitcases. Lana's eyes were rimmed with red and her hands were shaking; she was happy to go, but she hated the fact that Niall was upset that she was.