Disclosure of Dee

[Madhu, After Dark] So before we start, just wanted to know what can I call you? Would Dee do the thing?

[Dee] Dee is fine. It's my nickname anyway.

[M] That's awesome! So can you tell us a little about yourself and how you got into writing?

[Dee] I'm 27 and married with two sons. I initially got into writing through fan fiction. I wrote a little in high school though, mainly melodramatic poems about whoever I was dating at the time. In college my English teacher told me I should write and that's when I looked into Fanfiction and the rest is just awful stories until I honed my talent for it. But seriously, I wrote some awful shit in the beginning. It haunts me.

[M] That's the same for me, I started writing in high school because of my teacher. Fanfictions, pretty sure you can write a myriad of them. What is your favourite genre? Did it change over time, or is it the same one from your high school days?

[Dee] I love Thrillers and Romance novels and that hasn't really changed since High School. I recently got into sci-fi just from finding an author I loved. So I'll read almost anything if it's written well.

[M] Guess that pretty much the same for most girls :P
How did you come across Wattpad? And did you expect anything in specific from it?

[Dee] I truly cannot remember how I came across it. I might've just stumbled on it through the App Store. I remember being completely surprised by the amount of young writers and inspired. I wish there had been something like this for me in High School. I really had no expectations so when I started to read the stories on here, I was so happy and surprised at how much talent is here.

[M] I know right! I was super surprised too! And the books and the app were free :P All I thought was *BINGO*
So, what was the first book you read on Wattpad? And who's your favourite author here so far?

[Dee] Exactly! The fact that it's free is amazing. The first book I read was Jack Who by Dramali. I think my favorite author here is probably baquers. I remember first reading his stuff and being stunned at the raw talent he has with characterization. He was also so humble about his talent.

[M] That's the best part, finding some random book and delving into it! And the books you stumble across are mostly top-notch!
But, I've been dying to know how do you get ideas to write any book? Particularly your book, "HER" ? How did that idea start off as?

[Dee] Her was inspired by the show The Americans which is about two Russian spies living in America as a married a couple with two children. I think there's something inherently mysterious and sexy about the spy/assassin plot but I'm also a firm believer sex scenes need a purpose other than writing the mechanics of it. So I had my plot but I then had to decide what they both needed from having sex.

Generally though, I'm inspired by everything. Music, photography, cinematography, and life in general. I have a lot of experience to write from as well.

[M] Your inspiration is amazing and I gotta watch that show pronto!
I totally agree about the sex, it has to have meaning behind it and well, you have managed to write a scene, that is not only super descriptive but also very sexy, to be honest.
*squeals internally* What gave you the idea to write it, the way you did?

[Dee] I looked at both these characters, Anastasia being used for sex the last month, and what that would do to her. Kaleb, who has been trained not to feel, but see's a woman who is finally his equal in all things. I think with them both growing up in the environments they did, they needed each other to feel something but specifically in sex when generally all you do is feel.

She detaches herself immediately, mainly because she's used to doing it. He finally finds someone that arouses him both physically and mentally and it's almost insulting to him. But he's a very aware intelligent man and knows where it comes from. What follows is just two people who understand each other and instinctively engage in sex tailored for them both.

[M] That sounds intense, but maybe that's your little secret :P
I honestly have to say that the amount of thought you've put into one short story is huge, I'm waiting for the next one you'd write!
When do you see yourself posting the next book?
I totally would be the first person spamming it! *warning in advance*

[Dee] Haha. I do tend to overthink things. My husband would vehemently agree with that. I plan on posting two stories this week. One is called The Estate. It's already written. The other is unnamed right now. Both are short erotic stories.

[M] Well, welcome to the overthinkers boat, been there since as long as I can remember! :P
Do you think that you'll be publishing your books? Either in the near future or in the long run?

[Dee] These short stories are really my way of coping with distraction. I'm working on a novel which is a thriller and I'm trying to stick to the important message of it but I have a need to write romance and sex. So when I do these short stories it's a way for my to clear my head so I can work on my novel.

I don't think I'll publish them. I like having them here on Wattpad and free to read. I also don't have a lot of brain capacity to write much but short stories right now since I have a nine month old and six year old. Maybe when I'm getting more sleep I'll be able to maintain focus enough. But I'm writing during short naps right now. Lol

[M] That must be super hectic! Writing novels can be a pretty big task. But, the themes you include in them are totally up to you, that's the best part I guess. Letting your imagination go wild!
Did you ever try any of the clubs? What was the first one that caught your eye?

[Dee] Writing a novel is both amazing and fucking sucks at the same time. I can't tell if I love and hate it some days but I also picked a hard time to try to write one.

Clubs? Like here on Wattpad?

[M] True that! The first few chapters of the novel are always the best according to me at least and the endings too!
Yup, the Wattpad's clubs!

[Dee] I did join one club probably two years ago. I can't even remember the name but they were all novelists. I genuinely enjoyed the works but it was a very critical group especially when it came to romance novels. It just wasn't a good fit for the genre I typically wrote in. I didn't try any again after that.

[M] Well, thank you so much for your time and is there anything you'd like to say to the budding After Dark writers out there before we can wrap it up?

[Dee] Thank you! I would just like to tell them that I'm here if they need advice, a beta reader or a cheerleader! I love a good erotic romance! I'm happy that After Dark even exists!

[M] Thank you so much and we hope that you'd continue to write such amazing stories, hopefully inspiring others to do so too and also for taking the time to answer the questions patiently!

[Dee] No problem! Thank you for taking the time to interview me! It's definitely inspired me to write more!