Revelations

The dark and empty realm was the perfect place for creatures as evil as they. The ground was cold and had a strange texture like sand but not as soft and smooth. The sky was clouded, shielding it from the light of the sun, the sun that they oh so cherished on Asgard.

The task was simple. Go to Svartalfheim, look for Malekith's body, make sure he's dead then search the rest of the realm for anything else that may be of importance.

The first part was completed merely seconds ago when they arrived in the ruins of the war fought hard against the elves.

"Fandral, you and Volstagg investigate that mess of Midgardian items, I'll go over to the ship wreckage in search of the body." Sif hoped that Thor would be correct about the placement of it and that he was not just exaggerating.

"Why do you get to look for the body?" Fandral asked but in an almost whining matter, making her have to bite back a smile. This was a serious mission and if he was still alive it wouldn't be smart to lose their seriousness. She decided.

"Did you want to?" She questioned, lifting an eyebrow into a sarcastic expression.

"Carry on." He replied as they began walking towards the smashed transportation devices.

Sif ran with her sword in hand to the demolished ship, ready for even the sneakiest of attacks.

Her eyes skimmed over the bent pieces of metal and sparking wires as she searched for any sign of a limp figure. She found none.

"Where are you?" She whispered to the air around her as she searched through the pile of scraps.

After looking through metal for at least thirty minutes, something out of the corner of her eye caught her attention. It didn't belong in the landscape and it reflected what little light there was off in her direction.

Sif spun to stare at it and determined to find out what it was, sped to its side. Laying on the ground was a single piece of worn, golden metal, smelted by the finest of blacksmiths. Engraved with brilliant designs in some places.

She bent down and grabbed it, her fingers rubbing over the metal slowly and carefully. Her gaze narrowed as she studied it intensely, searching for an answer to her question.

Her heart dropped into her stomach as the realization came to her.

This was a part of Loki's armor. It was one of the many pieces of metal that rested on the front of his tunic. Was this really all that remained of him? Where was his body? Thor hadn't taken it with him.. Why would he, he went to Midgard to save it once again, there was no opportunity to carry around a dead body. She thought absent mindedly.

"Lady Sif, we didn't find anything of significance.. Any sign of the body?" Volstagg shouted across the landscape as they approached her from behind.

Her entire body shook with fear and she quickly stuffed the piece of his armor into hers, hiding it from their sight.

"Sif? How do you fair?" He asked as they both noticed her visible shake from his speech.

"Why did you tremble?"

She turned around to meet their worried gazes and accompanied them with a wary smile.

"Just on edge is all." She assured but she could tell they weren't convinced.

Sif, Fandral and Volstagg continued searching the rubble but found nothing else, not even the body of Malekith.

"Where do you suppose he's gone?" Fandral asked as they walked to the site of the bifrost.

"Into hiding somewhere, I suppose." She concluded as they called for Heimdall.