Chapter 5 ~ Esme's POV

She has come

The cause of all

the one who shall

once again  make her fall

--------------- At the front door ----------------

I fidget under her glare. ‘Where the heck did that come from...the way she said my name with such hatred...how the heck did she even know my name?...and the freaky accent...I feel like she wants to kill me...and she doesn’t even know me...creepy much?’ I think, wanting Jace to let go of my hand so that I can go upstairs and not bother with her. Now I see why Ari was unhappy when she opened the door. ‘Lucky her, she escaped...’

I pry Jace’s fingers off my hand, nod to Arissa and walk quickly into the kitchen. From here I have a vantage point because I can see her but she can’t see me. I watch her face morph into a smile that she no doubt put on because I left. She awkwardly links arms with Jace and walks pulls him into the living room. Jace looks at me, embarrassed, as they walk past the kitchen. I stay right where I am and try to listen to their conversation.

“Hello Jace, I’m happy I could come again today” she says slightly seductively.

‘What the hell...she’s his sister...why does she have a friggin’ seductive edge to her words? And no one is allowed to call him Jace but me and Ari’ I think folding my arms and getting grumpy.

“who’s that...girl?”she smirks.

‘who’s that girl?WHO’S THAT GIRL? His GIRLFRIEND! THAT’S WHO. And it none of your damn business...your his sister...stop being so damn seductive.’ I walk over to the left side of the kitchen. From there I can see exactly what’s happening. ‘Uggh...the way she’s leaning forward on the  couch.’

“She’s my girlfriend... Her name is”

“I know what her name is” she cuts in dismissively

“Well why were you scowling at her?” he asks edgily.

“Hahaha, well you saw that? Hmph. Who she is to you is of no concern to me and it should be of no concern to you who she is to me. Understood?” She leans back into the couch examining her nails.

‘What are you...like 52 years old or something? You ever listen to yourself talk?’ I think wondering what Jace will say to that.

“No, I don’t understand. I will be concerned if you show misplaced attitude to MY girlfriend. So don’t if you want to be my sister.” he replies. He gets off the couch and stands with his arms crossed in front of his chest.

“Awww look at you, caring for a girl. You knows she’s only temporary, whereas I will be here forever.” she mocks him making a frowny face. “Im gonna take a rain check and let you think this over...mabye you’ll change your mind...IF you know what’s best for you and everyone else; espcially your little...girl” She stands up with her bag and walks toward the kitchen. When she sees me she smirks and walks to the bathroom. I can see Jace fuming in the living room.

He paces from one side to the other. Walking out of the bathroom and into the living room, Arissa loudly announces dismissively“I’m leaving... and Jace you can tell me your decision now...or...later...” Jace follows her as she struts out of the living room towards the front door.

“Bye” he says and opens the door.

“Oh not yet! I’d like to say bye to your little...girly” she says acting surprised that he should tell her to leave without saying bye to me.

I walk out of the kitchen to the front door and stand next to Jace. She crushes me in a menacing hug and says “Goodbye, Esmeralda, think you’re in love don’t you? Hahaha...not for long dear...you’ll see...your poor little heart will be shattered...again.” Laughing she shuts the front door.

Suddenly the world gets unnaturally quiet. My vision starts to swim and I see dark shadows everywhere. “Jace?’ I say uncertainly. The shadows start rushing toward me from all sides. I shrink away from them. I go into tunnel vision and my breath stops in my throat. “Esssssmmmmmeeeeee?” I hear. ‘What’s happening to me? Why does he sound like he’s underwater? I thought these shadows were harmless...why are they attacking me now? After all these years? Why now?’ I feel my body flail and tip over.