Chapter 1 ~ Esme's POV

:) ....read comment vote ENJOY!!

------------------------------------------------

You think it's love.

But you know not,

who you put above.

Your dreams, your life,

and legacy awaits.

A separation inevitable,

is close enough for fears.

"Esme, wait up!"

I turn around as I hear my name being called. I know it's Cloe, but I was avoiding her all day because she's keeping secrets from me... again. This time, determined to make her answer me, I stopped at my locker and put my books in carefully, so as to avoid breaking my arm again.

She knows that I know that she has problems with her parents. Her mom and dad are divorced and her mom's pregnant...again. That's not even the worst part. She hates her stepmother -at least she tries to- and believes that she's the reason her mom left; even though she tries to hate her step mom, she's like the nicest woman in the world. In fact, she and I get along pretty well and Cloe hates me for it. Her family's in such a messed up state right now, that honestly, I can't let her go through it alone.

I shift my weight from foot to foot as I wait impatiently for Cloe to get through the massive stampede of confused freshmen. As a junior she has every right to tell them to move but she's too nice for that and so I waited as she maneuvered around them. As she came up to me I gave her a stern look that said "talk and then i'll let it go."

"I'm so sorry Esme, but you really don't want to know," she said as I stared unblinkingly at her.

"Oh but I do, Cloe. You won't be able to hide it. Just tell me so that we can figure it out and you can stop worrying."

Fiddling with her hair she says "why do you think it has to do with my family? Really, Esme sometimes I think you try to treat me like i'm fragile glass or something, and honestly it has nothing to do with me this time."

"Fine, tell me when you're ready then. I can wait all day; We have free period and then I take you home, remember?"

"Ok, that's it Esme, if you really want to know so bad, then I'll tell you. Just remember you asked for it." I eagerly wait as she nervously plays with her purity ring.

"Well, i've heard that umm... that...thatJasonwantstobreakupwithyou,"she rambles speedily and slaps her hands on top of her mouth.

Thinking I hadn't heard her very clearly I demand, "WHAT??"

Slowly taking her hands off she whispers, "I'm so sorry Esme, I really didn't mean to say anything."

I shake my head thinking 'just like her to blame herself for something she had nothing to do with.' "Are you sure?"I ask. She slowly nods her head. "Come on Cloe, let's go find him, all three of us have free period anyway," I grunt trying to pull her towards the library.

"Hey Mrs. Cowen" I say to the librarian as I look around the library for that familiar head of shaggy blond hair. Our librarian's pretty young, only 29; she actually teaches both Bio GT and Honors and only during her free periods works as our librarian. She also had just gotten married this past summer and oh my god, was her husband handsome! They are sooo amazing together, almost like they were made for each other, and put on earth to find each other.

"Hi Esme, looking for someone?" "Actually, I am! Have you seen Jason in here yet?"I ask trying to keep up my slowly waning smile. "Yup, I think he's sitting in the plushie corner." she says smiling knowingly. "Thanks so much Mrs. Cowen!" I say inattentively. Taking Cloe's hand I drag her with me towards the bookshelf behind the plushie corner. Pushing aside the books, I make a window for myself. I do a 180 sweep of the plushie corner and all I see are the multicolored bean bag chairs, the electric fireplace and the multiple books scattered over the wooden table in the middle. "I don't think we should do this Esme", Cloe whispers anxiously. "Cloe, oh my gosh Cloe, look he's not there!?! Mrs. Cowen said he was supposed to be here...where do you think he is?"