Chapter Four: Sunday Evening

As this Sunday evening dies down, and my family gathers around on the back yard swing to talk, I feel bad about keeping a secret from them all. I've told them, and a few of our maids, everything. So this is the first time I haven't. We all sip on our waters as we discuss the events of the previous week. We always do that actually, since my parents can get busy sometimes and we don't always see them, the reserved Sunday evenings for us. Prim and I sit on the swing while my parents sit in patio chairs, holding hands.
"So, what did you all do this week?" My mother asks, setting her drink on the patio table.
"Nothing. Why would you think we did something?" I ask, my conscious is killing me right now.
"I wasn't saying that. Katniss? Why are you acting so nervous?"
"I'm not! Why is everyone looking at me?" I notice Prim has stopped swinging on the swing and my parents look at me with eyebrows raised. "I went on a walk!" I blurt out.
"Oh?" My father asks.
"Yes, after I saw Finnick and Annie off. I went in the woods behind their house and I found a lake."
"In that dress!?" My mother freaks out.
"Yes mother, in this dress. But it didn't get dirty did it?"
"It better not have!"
"So you found the lake huh? I've been there a few times. I hunt in that area." My dad says.
"Really? How often do you hunt there?"
"Well, when I have time. But, it's summer now so I don't have much time to hunt."
"I didn't know you hunted."
"No, not many people do. I kind of keep it secret."
"So keep it on the down low?" I ask and he nods. Totally understandable. I mean, when you are a top of the line salesman who has a reputation to keep, you don't want people to know about your hunting. As my parents get into a discussion about work, I decide to get into a conversation with Prim. But I see that she is on her phone.
"Hey, you know the rules, no cells." I say reaching for her phone. But she moves before I can get it.
"I must answer this text at once." She says returning to the screen.
"I swear you are such a teenager." I sigh.
"Mhm."
"Fine, whatever." I stand up, moving away from the swing and from my family. I want to take another walk in the woods by our house.
"Katniss!" My mother yells.
"Yes? I'm taking a walk."
"Don't get that dress dirty!" I shake my head and walk away. These woods are usually my comfort, usually I come here when my parents both work and Prim is with her friends. I find the scent of the pines and the sound of the leaves both relaxing, and stress relieving. I never knew my dad hunted. I knew he came to the woods a lot, and I figured that's where I got my desire to come here. When he would come home with a rabbit or something, saying we would cook it, I hadn't put two and two together. I figured he found a dead animal and since he grew up on a farm it was just part of him to want to cook it. I guess it doesn't even matter anymore. Who cares really? We all have our secret hobbies. Mine? I like to sing. But, I usually only sing in the woods where no one can hear me. Kind of why it's a secret hobby. I go up towards a tree, and run my hands along it smiling. I love the feeling of bark. Being surrounded by all these plants and nature, it does make me want to sing. I sigh as the first song that comes to mind is One Direction, and I decide to just sing it. I look out over the evergreens that crowed to forest, and suddenly everything is filled with song.
"Your hand fits in mine
Like it's made just for me
But bear this in mind
It was meant to be
And I'm joining up the dots with the freckles on your cheeks
And it all makes sense to me

I know you've never loved
The crinkles by your eyes
When you smile
You've never loved
Your stomach or your thighs,
The dimples in your back at the bottom of your spine
But I'll love them endlessly

I won't let these little things slip out of my mouth
But if I do
It's you
Oh, it's you they add up to
I'm in love with you
And all these little things

You can't go to bed without a cup of tea
And maybe that's the reason that you talk in your sleep
And all those conversations are the secrets that I keep
Though it makes no sense to me