Chapter One: The Wedding

"Katniss! It's time to go hurry along!" My mother yells from outside of my room. I sigh, but slip on the high heel shoes. I'm wearing my light blue, strapless, floor length dress with a pearl necklace. I already applied my make up and did my hair, and my family has been waiting on me.

"Mother please! Do you want me to look nice or not?" I holler back.

"Just hurry!" So I look at myself in the mirror one more time, and head for the door. My mother is standing right by the door waiting for me. She grabs my arm and starts leading me down the stair steps of our 3 story, finished basement mansion. We are one of the top 10 richest people in this town. The wedding we are attending today, Finnick and Annie's, are the kids of the two wealthiest people in our town. So anybody who is anybody will be there. It is already being called the social event of the year.

"Now Katniss, that nice boy Gale is going to be there. Try to be nice okay? If you must, fix your attitude. Put on a big smile and please try to make conversation." My mother says as we reach the bottom of the steps.

"Mother please, I told you I don't want to date him."

"Katniss, His mom and dad are co owners of the Honda plant in the next town. Imagine getting married to him. Then, your wedding would be the social event of the year." She smiles so widely and it's so rare to see my mother this happy, that I don't respond. we quickly go outside to the waiting limousine, and the rest of my family. My dad stands in a tuxedo, waiting by the open door. I see Prim already inside in a dazzling knee-high white dress, with a diamond necklace and matching bracelet. Prim always did like jewelry and make up and clothes more than I did. I smile at my dad, as he takes my hand to help my in the backseat. I sit next to Prim and she is playing on her phone.

"You know if you have that out during the wedding, mom will have your head." I joke with her.

"Yeah, I know. She's already told me three times."

"My little duck is a rebel."

"Oh please." She sighs, "I'm 16 Katniss. I'm not your little duck anymore."

"You still call me the girl on fire from when I was 16. which was 4 years ago." I point out. I remember the day I earned that nickname. We were having a party at our house, with the fireplace lit in the living room. but I took a step to close and the end of my dress caught fire. So everyone starting calling me the girl on fire. Not the name I like to live by, but it has had it's benefits here and there. Like with outfits, I can wear my red high heels with my orange and yellow dress without people saying something about it not matching.

"That's different. It was funny." She smiles putting her phone down.

"And so were you when your shirt would come un tucked when you were little."

"Yeah yeah." She says and looks at her nails. My mother comes in next and so does my father. They sit directly across from us and my mother keeps talking about how we are to act at the wedding and who we can talk to. Which consists mostly of people from The Big Ten. As she calls it. Just the ten richest families. and we barely make it in. We are number 8. I don't see what It matters though, it's just money. Some people have it, and some people don't. But we are all still people. We listen to her talk all the way to the Odair's house, where we go inside quickly. We are in the main room, where people are socializing. The wedding doesn't start for another hour, but I see Finnick talking with his family on the other side of the room. I wonder where Annie is. I know the bride and groom aren't supposed to see each other the day of the wedding, but these two are never seen apart. It's so odd to see one without the other. I wave to Finnick, he has been my friend for I don't know how long. Far before we made The Big Ten. He smiles and waves back.