Chapter Fifteen

It was late at night when I finally began packing. I had a hard time picking what I wanted to wear for the trip so for two hours I tried on clothes. I sighed and began throwing things into my luggage when there was a knock on my door. I looked at the clock and then over at the door confused, it was nearly three in the morning.

I opened the door tentatively and was surprised when Pax pushed his way in. Butterflies started in the pit of my stomach as I remembered what I did earlier which also caused my face heat up.

He stopped as he look around my room and the clothes that were thrown about. “What’s going on?”

“I’m packing.” I shrugged picking up some of the clothes off the ground as to make it not so messy. “What are you still doing up?”

“I couldn’t sleep.” He sighed running his hands through his black hair. I groaned internally, why was he so attractive? “Where are you going?”

I picked up some more clothes and then walked into my closet, setting them on the ottoman. I took a deep breath and then made my way back into my room. He was standing there watching me. I felt self conscious as I walked over to my luggage. “Paris.”

“Paris?” He asked confused, “What’s in Paris?”

“My parents.” I told him and he nodded in understanding. “My mom’s due in a few days.”

“Due?” He looked surprised and I nodded.

“Yeah,” I bit my lip to stop myself from crying as my eyes watered.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” He asked softly.

I shrugged and zipped my luggage as I placed the last thing in it. “You didn’t ask and we weren’t really friends.” I looked up at him under my lashes, he had a guilty look on his face. I hated it. “I have something for you though.” I told him as I got down on my knees and looked under my bed. I wanted him to wipe that look of his face, it hurt me that he felt guilty even though I really wanted him too. Does that make sense?

I grabbed the box I’ve have for years. It was a little bigger than a jewelry box and had a fancy colorful design on it. I walked over to him and took a deep breath and handed it to him.

He looked surprised and shook his head, “I can’t take it Em.”

I hid the hurt and tried to give him a smile, “Please, I bought them specifically for you.” I could tell that he was debating whether or not to so I pushed once more. “If you don’t take them, I’ll cry.”

“Don’t cry.” He sighed and took the box from my hand. I gave him a victorious smile and sat on my bed, patting the place next to me for him to sit as well. He gave me a heavy sigh to show he was annoyed but I could tell by the way his eyes shined and the hint of a smirk on his lips he enjoyed it.

I stared at him as I awaited his reaction. I bought him little gifts from every place I’ve visited of the years, even when we weren’t friends, hoping one day I’d have the courage to give them too. To show him I never gave up on our friendship.