Chapter Nineteen (part 12)

A/N:

Just a quick author's note: This chapter will have changing POVS. 

Enjoy! :)

--

-

The arrow whizzed through the air and embedded itself in the tree trunk with a satisfying thud. Dead center.

I walked over and yanked the arrow out, noting that it was another clean shot; straight through the last hole, and not a fraction off. Doesn't get any better than that.

I sighed lightly. As I retraced my steps back to the line drawn in the dirt, my ears perked up at the sound of children's laughter coming up the path. Edith, who was almost my age—just shy of turning eleven—spotted me and skipped over, her golden curls bouncing behind her. Her older brother, Cole, trailed after her.

"Hi, Bailey," Edith beamed. "We're going to the woods. Want to come?"

I hesitated, throwing a cautious glance towards the hovel. "I..."

"She can't," Cole responded for me, a trace of a sneer on his face. "Her mother doesn't let her wander further than the village."

Edith's face fell. "Oh, right."

"I-I can leave the village," I spoke up defensively.

"Then come with us," He challenged. "Or are you too scared?"

I nibbled on my lip, uncertainly. Mother had gone into town to do errands and wouldn't return until later. Besides, it beat staying here shooting arrows.

"Okay, let's go," I decided, shouldering my bow and quiver.

-

"Alright. Edith will be the evil witch; Bailey, you're the damsel; and I'll be the hero." Cole stood tall on a large protruding tree root, brandishing a long stick as a makeshift sword.

Edith made a sour face and stomped her foot. "You always make me the villain, Cole! I want to be the damsel."

"You can't be the damsel."

"Why not? I'm a lady!"

"No, you're just a sister!"

"Why don't I be the hero this time?" I spoke up, sensing a fight would break loose between siblings.

Both brother and sister turned to stare at me. Cole scoffed. "You can't be the hero. You're a girl."

"So? I don't see why a girl can't be a hero, too."

He rolled his eyes. "For one obvious reason; boys are stronger than girls. You could get hurt."

"Okay," I said, hopping off the big rock I was perched on. I dropped my cloak and bow and quiver next to a tree and picked up a stick similar to his. "Then prove it."

Cole snorted. "I'm not going to fight you."

"If girls are so weak, then this should be easy, right?" I smirked.

"Fine," He shrugged, sounding smug. "But when you lose and go crying home to Mommy, don't say I didn't tell you so."

Instead of responding, I moved into a defence position with my 'sword' poised in front of me. Cole followed suit. Edith stood off to the side to watch.