Chapter Sixteen

--*Present*--

-

After the final diner left and the 'closed' sign was put in place as the day's busy events were winding down, I went about clearing away dirty dishes and wiping down tables. The other waitresses had already gone home for the evening, but I volunteered to stay and help Granny close up. However, the quiet diner only welcomed the restless thoughts that had been dominating my mind since Pan left that afternoon.

How dare he put me in such a situation? Ask me for help, after all the things he had done, everything he had put me--and everyone else--through!

I rubbed furiously at a stubborn spot of dried ketchup as I thought about his deal.

If it was Thomas, I would do anything for him if he asked me, regardless of how angry I was with him. And maybe, at one point, whether I wanted to admit it or not, I had been loyal to Pan, too.

But things were different now.

This was the boy who killed his best friend and betrayed his Lost Boys--the only people who ever cared about him. Not to mention he nearly killed me on several occasions, and would have without hesitation if things hadn't turned out the way they did.

I should say he got what was coming to him. He didn't deserve my help.

"If you wipe any harder, you'll split that poor table in two."

My head snapped up to see Granny standing behind the counter stacking paper cups, having watched me take my frustration out on her table.

She peered at me from over her glasses with concern. "Are you alright, dear?"

Straightening up, I brushed the strands of hair that had escaped from my bun away from my face, breathing heavily. "I'm fine."

"You sure?"

I managed a nod, smiling tightly. "Just tired, I guess."

She didn't look entirely convinced, though I didn't blame her. I've been told before that when it came to suppressing my emotions, I was an open book. I might as well have them flashing in bright neon signs over my head.

Fortunately, and quite surprisingly, Granny didn't press me on the matter. I was still perplexed at how easy Pan had slipped under her radar, seeing that the diner seemed to be the heart of all the strange and bizarre things that went on in this town, with Granny being its eyes and ears. Nothing could slip under her sharp nose.

Well, almost nothing.

-

A long, tired yawn escaped my mouth as I stepped foot inside the Sheriff station the next morning, acting as temporary errand girl and delivering Emma's breakfast to her--as per Granny's orders. I hadn't slept a wink last night--a lot of tossing and turning, but no real sleep had taken place. Though it was nothing new, as I was used to the exhausted baggy-eyed look, being a former--and now newly revived--insomniac.

Upon rounding the corner, I slowed when I noticed a familiar short dark-haired boy leaning against the wall a few feet from the open doorway, playing his Game Boy--or rather, pretending he was. Judging from the way he kept glancing towards the office, as well as the lack of finger movements on the controls, I knew that his attention wasn't focused on the device. He was eavesdropping.

"Hey," I started, stopping next to him. "What are you--?"

Henry put his fingers to his lips, shooting me a sharp look. "Shh. Lower your voice or they'll hear you."