nineteen.

Ana thought for sure that within days, things with Justin would be mended like they always were. Their relationship and love for each other was too strong. A few days distanced was all they needed.

It had been months.

Justin became more secretive, and angrier. They never discussed the punch, or really discussed anything at all. Their relationship had become kissing each other hello, walking hand-in-hand to class and then kissing goodbye. Sometimes Justin didn't even show up to lunch, leaving Ana and Gavin alone in an easy-going routine. Ana had gotten to know Gavin a lot more and if Justin wasn't going to try, then neither was she.

Justin had given up. And that hurt Ana, who had her share of rejection in her life, more than she could ever describe. She still felt that both her mother and Justin wanted her and that's why she couldn't let go. It was impossible for her to accept what might have been the truth.

Paul watched his daughter change between December and April. She was smiling less, laughing less. But according to her, things were fine. He didn't even have to ask to know that Justin was the likely cause.

It pissed him off because he knew what boys like Justin were like. They strung girls along and made them unhappy without any consequence. It especially pissed Paul off because Ana was a smart girl, and it was always the smart girls that threw it all away.

The nagging feeling that things with Justin were wrong sat with him for far too long. He waited until the right time to act on it.

Ana would have murdered him if she knew he was doing this.

He hit the doorbell, balancing on his heels for a little while. He heard no movement behind the door. When he suspected no one would answer and turned to leave, the door opened slowly behind him.

Richard didn't step out, just stood inside the doorway. "Hello, can I help you?" He asked softly.

"Hi, I know this is sudden. My name is Paul..." He stuck his hand out; even he was a little intimidated by this man.

Richard stared at his hand, before taking it into his open one. "Ana's father, I know. I'm a little surprised to see you here."

"Well, we've never met before which I consider a little odd seeing as our kids have been together for a little while now. Speaking of, have you seen any weird changes in Justin recently?"

"Excuse me?"

"Ana insists that they're okay but I don't believe it really. Then again, they're teenagers and who understands them, huh?" Paul chuckled.

Richard's smile was tight-lipped. "Yes well, Justin doesn't tell me much, I'm sorry. I was under the impression they were no longer together." Paul missed the flash of shock in Richard's eyes.

"Justin's a good kid. I just want what's best. For the both of them." Paul nodded. "I would really like to get to know the two of you better, if that's alright with you. How does dinner tomorrow night with my family?"

Richard's smile remained. "I'm sure Justin will be so happy to hear of the invitation."

The two men shook hands again, Paul feeling successful. Richard was somewhat smiling, but when he turned away, Paul didn't see his face fall completely before the door shut.

Ana

"Dad, I told you things are fine!" I rubbed at my temples.

"And I didn't believe you. This has nothing to do with you and Justin anyways, not really. I just want to sit down formally with Justin's uncle and speak to him."