thirteen.

Ana

It amazed me how easily a week could turn to shit.

All I wanted was some peace and quiet. I had gone to the store to get some things and just wanted to study in the library alone.

My name was called. "What are you doing here?" I sighed, looking up at Bobby. He had his hands braced on the chair across from me.

"I had practice after school and needed to stop here for something for a project. It's actually a good thing I found you here."

"Is it now?"

"Mind if I sit?"

"Yes, but I'm sure you're going to do it anyway."

Bobby grinned slightly, pulling the chair out from under the desk and sitting. He stared at me and I stared back, and it was the most awkward thing in the world.

"So?" I shrugged, "What do you want?"

"I just wanted to know um," He cleared his throat, staring down at his knuckles. "Why haven't you told anyone? You know, about that night?"

I rolled my eyes. "Because it would have created a mess that I really don't feel like getting into. Justin stopped you anyway."

"Saint Bieber." Bobby muttered sarcastically. "Well, I'm really sorry. I was just upset about Emily and it was late, I really don't know what I was thinking."

"Okay."

"I want us to be friends." He smiled. "And I want to do it right. Then maybe we can work our way to something more, if you're okay with that." He reached out to place a hand on my arm that was lying idly on the desk.

I pulled back quickly. "I'm not okay with that. I'm sorry that your relationship with Emily isn't working out but I'm not going to be your little revenge tactic." I began to pack my things up. "You're the biggest asshole I've ever met and I don't want to be your friend, much less your fuck buddy. Come near me again and I'll make your life hell."

I left Bobby sitting there, face contorted into a stone glare. Bobby and Emily and the rest of them lived for the humiliation of others. They believed the world was theirs' for the taking and everyone else was merely entertainment.

I was proved right the next morning.

Emily approached me wordlessly; Chrissy and Brooke following close behind. Emily's arms were crossed over her chest, face blank. Something was wrong. Usually, her mouth was running any chance she got.

"Hey." I raised an eyebrow. "What's going on?"

"I considered us friends, you know that Ana?" Was all she said.

My throat was tight when I laughed. "I hope so. Or I've been getting the wrong signals for weeks now."

Emily didn't laugh. "You're right. That's why it amazes me that you come, out of nowhere, and immediately gain my trust. I decide to be nice because I think,'wow she seems cool, she can hang with us'" Her voice had hit a creepily low octave but she still managed to be extremely loud, loud enough that we were now being surrounded by onlookers just waiting for a bitch fight. "Only to be stabbed in the back."

I stayed silent, gaping, unsure what to say. Emily continued. "I called Bobby last night and he told me everything."

"Like what." I deadpanned.

"Like how you've been pursuing my boyfriend, behind my back. I know how you tried to get with him at Marcus' party, how you followed him to the library, how you keep coming on to him."