fourteen.

Justin

Ana's house was surrounded by police cars when we pulled up. It reminded me of how many cops were in and out of my house during the time of my mother's death. I remembered the faces mixed with pity and accusation. Once it was ruled a suicide, they just didn't care.

"I can't believe this." Ana muttered, pulling the key out of the ignition. I trailed closely behind her. Her parents stood at the end of the driveway, her Dad's head snapping up when he heard us. He charged at the two of us.

"Do you have any idea how worried we've been?" He stuck a finger in Ana's face. "I get a call at work that you weren't in any of your classes today after getting into a fight. Then we come home to find the house destroyed, the car gone and you're owhere to be found. We were minutes from sending the police out to find you. Do you know how terrifying that is? Or are you just that selfish?"

"Dad, it's not--"

He turned on me. "And you. I allow my seventeen year old's world to revolve around you. I understand relationships and I understand how much my daughter likes you. I try my hardest to preserve judgment on people, especially on someone like you. I know your story, Justin, and I'm sorry for what you've had to go through. But I also know your reputation and I will not allow you to drag my daughter down--"

"Don't talk to him like that! It was my idea, Dad, not Justin's." Ana cut in in but her father put a hand up.

"I know what it's like to grow up without a concrete foundation. I understand--"

My hands balled into fists. "You don't understand a thing about me." I snapped. "So don't pretend like you do."

Eyebrows raised, Ana's dad crossed his arms over his chest. "I think you need to go Justin. Those are some ugly bruises. I'm sure your Uncle is very worried about you."

I glanced between him and Ana one more time. Ana stared at me and I imagined how I looked to her. I leaned back onto my heels, trying to calm down. I dragged my eyes downwards, brushing past Ana to my own house.

"Get inside, Anastasia." I heard behind me. I walked past a group of officers, keeping my head down and releasing my fists. They murmured to each other as I walked past.

"You okay, kid?"

"Fine." I muttered, walking up my lawn. The front door opened before I even made it to the top step.

"Get inside." Richard hissed, grabbing me by the arm. "Are you out of your goddamn mind? I don't like people calling this house, Justin. You got into a fight, ditch school and then don't come home? What the hell is wrong with you?"

"It wasn't a fight." I mumbled.

Richard sighed, rubbing at the crease in between his eyebrows. "I've sacrificed so much to make sure you're safe and secure. Making sure you were hidden from the dangers of the world."

"That's the issue, Richard. You wanted to protect me so bad you raised me to be a freak. What's going to happen when I get older and have to live for myself?"

He stayed silent for a few beats. "Freak? It's this girl, she's brainwashing you--"

"I'm not having this conversation. It's not Ana's fault." I sighed, moving past my uncle to get into the kitchen. My face was feeling sore again so I grabbed a hand full of ice, shoving it into a plastic bag.

"Why have the police been out there all this time?" Richard asked curiously, following me.

"Someone broke into Ana's house. Destroyed everything."