39- Not a Doubt in my Mind

~~ Paige’s POV ~~

“You guys need to cut it out,” I told Sophie over the phone. “I really don’t mind going to homecoming by myself. Hattie and Cleo are going dateless with me, so really, it’s fine.”

“It’s just absolutely no fun at all,” Sophie huffed on the other end. “Look, there’s still about twenty four hours before prom, I can definitely find you a date within that time frame. Maddie can probably set you up with one of Carter’s friends.”

“Really.”

“I’m not talking about Ethan,” She sighed. “Come on, Paige, it’ll be fun.”

“A blind date for prom? No thanks,” I said with a small laugh. “I promise, Soph, I’m totally fine just going with friends.”

“Fine,” She mumbled, obviously unhappy about the fact that she won’t be able to play matchmaker with me for prom. She’d been asking me for a while if she could hook me up with somebody for prom but I always told her no. I knew that she would pick a really awesome guy though, she was really good at the whole match making thing, the thing was though, that I was hopelessly crushing on Ethan. I had this “it’s Ethan or it’s nobody” kind of mentality that I couldn’t shake, although I would never admit that to anybody because it sounded so pathetic. It was pathetic and I knew that, I just couldn’t help it.

“Don’t be grouchy,” I said teasingly. “I’ll still be at your house tomorrow and we’ll all get ready together and it’ll be fun. The only difference between you and me is that I won’t get laid at the end of the night.”

“Sure but getting laid is one of the best parts about prom,” Sophie said with a small giggle and I just rolled my eyes at her even though she obviously couldn’t see it.

“I’ll live without it. Anyway, I’m going to go, I have some homework to do.”

“It’s Friday night,” She deadpanned.

“And I have homework to do,” I repeated, laughing again. “Some of us aren’t about to graduate, you know.”

“Fine, fine, well I’ll see you tomorrow at my house. Three o’clock sharp so that we can go to the salon to get our hair done and everything.”

“Yes, I have the itinerary,” I joked. “Goodnight, Sophie.”

“Goodnight, loner,” She sang on the other end just before I hung up the phone. I tossed my phone onto my small bed from where I was sitting at my desk and then started finishing up my math homework that was interrupted when Sophie had called me earlier to plead with me yet again to let her find a prom date for me at the very last minute.

With my music playing from my laptop, I hummed along as I finished up my math homework and then slid it away in my school bag so that I didn’t have to think about math for the rest of the weekend. I was just about to crawl into bed with a bag of chips and Netflix to keep me company when I heard the front door bell echo through the house.

My dog, Patsy, started barking through the house just to let us know that somebody rang the doorbell and that we needed to get down there right away to see who it was. She was a big dog, some kind of retriever, so her bark was loud and booming all the way through the house but I just ignored her and the doorbell.

My brother was downstairs, so he could get the door. Still, I was curious to see who could be at our front door at eleven o’clock on a Friday night. Our mother was still at work and she was the only other person that lived in the house, so I wasn’t sure who it could be.

I got my answer though when I looked out the window of my second floor bedroom and saw that it was actually Ethan standing on my front porch. I immediately felt like I was going to vomit. What was he doing here? What did he want? Does he know that I live here or does he know my brother? WHAT IS HAPPENING?!