27- You Didn't Know

Weeks tick by like seconds when I’m with Carter.

School went by faster, the soccer games seemed to disappear when I blink although that could also be the adrenaline from the game but either way, they went by so quickly that by the time I was done blinking, we’d already won and the game was over.

Two weeks had passed since the getaway to the cabin. Two weeks of kissing and holding hands and receiving jealous looks from the girls that I passed in the hallway. Two weeks of Carter and I couldn’t have been happier. The argument that I had with my mother had faded into the back of my mind and I hadn’t thought about my father much lately either. Although Carter would occasionally bring it up, I’d quickly change the subject and move on to something else.

I’d felt like I was floating in a moment of pure happiness. The soccer team was undefeated, I had amazing friends and an amazing boyfriend. I was completely happy, 100%. Which was why I didn’t want to think about either one of my parents because I didn’t want to burst my bubble. I knew that it’d burst eventually but I wasn’t ready for that yet.

“So homecoming is coming up,” I told Carter as we were laying in his bed. I was sitting in front of him with my back resting against his front with my laptop in front of me so that I could do my homework and Carter was playing some video game with his arms wrapping around my midsection and the controller was resting against my belly.

“So it is,” He chuckled.

“I haven’t decided if I want to go or not,” I told him. “Would you want to go?”

“Yeah, I think it could be fun,” Carter decided. “I mean, it’s my last chance and all, and the after party is always pretty fun. Which, we don’t have to go to of course because I know that you’re not into the party scene. But yeah, we should go.”

“Alright,” I decided, still typing on my laptop. It was a Saturday and Carter had teased me about doing homework on a Saturday evening but it was a long essay and it was due on Monday in my English class so I had to work on it a little bit each day so that I wasn’t cramming it all on Sunday night. “We’ll go then. I only have a week to buy a dress though, maybe Sophie and Paige will go with me tomorrow.”

“If you need money, my dad will pay for it,” He said to me.

“No, I have some money,” I assure him. “I don’t need to take your dad’s money.”

“Let him pay for it,” Carter insisted. “That way, you can spend your money on things that you wouldn’t want him to know about.”

“What things would I want to buy without Tom’s knowledge?” I wondered but then he kissed my neck and I knew what he was talking about.

He paused his game. “I have a few ideas.”

“I’m going to kill Sophie for putting that idea in your head,” I sighed, giving up on writing anymore of my essay anytime soon. I couldn’t focus on anything except for Carter and how he was kissing my neck and how good it felt.

“What idea?” He murmured against my skin.

“The lingerie stuff,” I reminded him that thanks to Sophie, I’d been wearing lacy underwear the first time that we’d had sex.

“Trust me, babe,” Carter mumbled into my ear, his voice dark and husky and it makes my breath stick in my throat. “The idea of you in lingerie would be in my head with or without Sophie’s help.”

I was about to turn around so that we could properly start making out when his door opened and Carter lifted his lips from my neck. I tried not to glare at Andy, who was standing in the doorway of Carter’s room with a Cheshire grin on his face.