38- You Absolutely Love It

“I hate this one. Absolutely not,” Kensie, Anna’s best friend, said with a shake of her head as Anna spun around in the white lace gown that she was wearing on the pedestal.

“Why not? It’s nice,” Anna said as she appraised the dress in the mirror in front of her. “It’s kind of vintage.”

“Exactly. Don’t you want something modern? You’re not a grandma,” Kensie pointed out with a small laugh.

“Okay, what do you guys think?” Anna turned to me, Paige, and Sophie who were sitting on the bench beside Kensie, Anna’s mom, and Sarah, who was another one of Anna’s friends. Paige and Sophie had tagged along with us to the bridal shop when I had told them that the shop was huge and not only did they have wedding dresses, but they had prom dresses too and considering prom was coming up soon, they jumped at the chance to come with us.

“I like it,” I told her with a nod. “It is a little old though.”

“Too old,” Sophie said with a shake of her head. “I say no.”

“Alright,” Anna sighed. “I guess this isn’t the one.”

“Hey, if you think that it’s the one, then it’s the one. When it comes down to it, the only opinion that matters is your own,” Her mother, whose name was Theresa, told her daughter.

Anna turned to the mirror again to appraise the lace gown, “Well, now that you compared it to a grandma’s dress, I don’t think that I like it very much. Let’s try the next one.”

“Sure, dear,” Theresa nodded and then Anna disappeared into the back of the shop to try on her next choice. We’d been at the shop for about an hour while Anna tried on dress after dress and it was kind of fun and I wanted to prolong this part of the day for as long as possible because after Anna was done trying on her wedding dresses, it was time to look for our prom dresses, which I really didn’t want to do.

Sure, homecoming was fun but prom just felt like it was too much and I was only a junior so I could just wait until next year to go but when I told Sophie and Paige that, Sophie about had a conniption. This was her last prom because she was a senior so she wouldn’t be able to come to next year’s prom which meant that I absolutely had to go to the one this year.

I gave in easily because I guess prom didn’t seem too bad, and I would never oppose to seeing Carter in a tuxedo. Although I wasn’t even sure if Carter wanted to go to prom considering we hadn’t talked about it yet.

“This is it,” We all heard Anna say from the back.

“Come on out, dear, let’s see it,” Theresa eagerly said, looking relieved to have finally found the perfect dress.

After a bit of rustling around, Anna came around the corner of the dressing room and then stepped back up onto the pedestal in front of our little benches.

“That one is absolutely perfect,” Sarah decided with an eager nod.

“I agree,” Paige added. “That’s gorgeous.”

The dress was tight on the top and white lace, but not as grandma-ish as the last one, and the bottom of the dress poofs out at her mid-thigh like a mermaid dress in waves of white fabric. It really did look absolutely amazing on her and I could tell just by the way that she was grinning in the mirror at herself in the dress, I could tell that she just found the perfect dress.

“Mom, what do you think?” Anna wondered, her voice a bit shaky as she grew a bit emotional which was just absolutely adorable.

“I love it, darling. You look so beautiful,” Theresa mumbled, tearing up a bit and then wiping a single tear from her eye. “Stunning, really.”