Chapter 29

"Are you excited for tonight?" 

Sheila and I walked up and down the aisles of the little boutique downtown. Displays showed off clothes with pricey tags hanging off the sides, and I cringed every time I looked down at one. The dimly lit chandeliers that hung above us made me want to crawl onto the vintage couch in the corner and take a nap. Sheila picked up different tops and skirts before finding countless things wrong with them and placing them back.

"Yeah, you?" I put down a black top and walked over to Sheila, who was now picking up a green skirt and added it to her things to try on.

"Of course! I love concerts- any kind, really. I can't wait to see the guys perform on a real stage!" She pulled her newly dyed lavender hair into a bun that drooped over to one side. We'd done it last night in my bathroom, and I now sported lavender tinted hands. 

It was exciting to think that the guys were playing their first real big gig tonight. They'd been promoting a lot online, at school, and on their YouTube channel.  We could only hope that people showed up now... That's the part I was nervous for. Apparently a lot of their followers from the city were coming, but that was so unpredictable. I'd hate for them to get so excited and for the whole thing to fall out...

"I'm sure seeing Michael all sweaty on stage has nothing to do with your excitement..." I tried it lighten my mood.

Sheila smacked my shoulder and laughed. A woman standing near us turned and gave us a judgmental gaze, no doubt picking up on our obvious American accents. 

"Of course not. That has nothing to do with it!" She rolled her eyes and winked before turning on her heels and looking at the next rack.

We continued looking at the clothes before deciding on a few over priced things to try on. We each stepped into our own dressing rooms and emerged to view the full length mirrors, turning to get every last angle.

"I wish Jessica was here. I keep forgetting she's still in school..."

"Yeah, it would've been really fun to bring her with us. She's going to meet us at the venue tonight."

"She's not getting out for lunch too?"

I shook my head, "No, just the boys. They need to get there early to get ready and rehearse. All our parents are going as well, so that should be really fun..." 

"Of course. Well, Jessica should let loose and ditch school anyways."

I couldn't help but laugh. It was true, and we both loved Jessica. It was just harder for us to see her as often as we wanted to.

"What about Ashton? Does he have anything planned for you guys after the show?" She raised her eyebrows and bit her lip in anticipation for my unknown response. 

"No... Should he?"

She shrugged her shoulders and stripped off the black dress.

"I don't know. It's just that it's a big night for them. I'd figure he would want tonight to be something special. I mean, have y'all...you know... done anything?"

My eyes widened and my cheeks must've flushed a crimson red. I fiddled with my hands and looked up toward her.

"No... There's been times where we almost did, but he'll stop..." I was beyond embarrassed by now. "He says he wants to, but he wants me to be ready..." I put my face in my hands. I felt so stupid trying to explain this to her. I found myself wondering if she and Michael had... I pushed the thought from my mind.

Sheila walked over and threw and arm around my shoulders. "Hey, it's totally fine. I think it's kind of cute actually..." She started laughing, which made me laugh.