Chapter 4

In the middle of the middle of the night, I found myself fumbling sleeplessly in my bed. It didn't feel like my bed, but that didn't matter. The first few nights of me sleeping anywhere new were usually restless.

Throwing back the heavy comforter, I got out of bed and walked to the bathroom. Having been too tired to take a shower when I got home, my hair was now sticking up in all directions and my eye makeup was smeared across half my face.

Pulling out a wash cloth and a hairbrush, I decided to clean myself up as much as I could without taking a shower. I'm sure nobody else in the house would like to be woken up by it at four in the morning.

After I was done and looked somewhat decent, I creeped out of my bedroom and down the stairs to the kitchen. I hadn't eaten anything since that soup yesterday and I was about to drop dead. Nobody was downstairs thankfully, and I was free to roam around and look through everything.

I looked through a cupboard and found a bunch of foreign looking snacks with strange names. Pulling out several things I set them on the counter and closed the cupboard to he greeted by a familiar face.

I almost screamed and had to put my hand to my mouth. Ashton just stood there and laughed at me.

"You scared the crap out of me!" I bickered through gritted teeth. My heart was beating a million miles an hour.

I smacked his shoulder and he continued laughing.

Reaching into the fridge, he pulled out a bottle of water and drank half of it without taking a breath.

"Can't sleep either?" he asked.

I nodded and looked at the various snacks in front of me. I decided to play it safe with something that looked like goldfish.

"Good choice," he said, smiling as he watched me.

"Thanks, I guess..." I opened them up and started eating them as I leaned against the counter.

"Cute outfit," he commented with a smirk as he stepped closer to me. I took a step back away from him.

I looked down at the oversized T-shirt I'd thrown on, which completely exposed my legs and half my butt at certain angles.

"Don't be a perv... I am you friend's sister afterall."

"Step-sister, and I'm just saying that I like them... You could just accept my compliment."

I rolled my eyes, but was grateful that he couldn't see me blushing right now. He really was cute.

"Did you have fun tonight?" He asked, leaning beside me.

"Are you really asking me that question?" I smiled, looking over at him.

We both laughed, but lowered our volume so we wouldn't wake anybody up.

"You looked great up on that stage," he said in a much lower voice, his hand now barely brushing my arm.

"Thanks. I felt pretty stupid though, and I can't sing, but it was fun."

"I thought you could sing okay."

"You couldn't even hear me."

"Hello! I was standing front row and you were the only female voice, of course I could hear you."

I became flustered in the darkness of the kitchen and threw away my trash. Sticking everything back in the cabinets, I turned to find Ashton still watching me.

"I think I'm going to try and get some sleep... I don't really know what's going on tomorrow."

"You should come watch our band rehearsal."

"You guys have a band?" I nearly snorted as I crossed my arms across my chest.

"Yeah!" he laughed, "5 Seconds of Summer! I'm the drummer."

"That rhymes."

He smiled and looked down at his feet, "But really, you should come. It would be really fun to have you there."

"I'll think about it," I smiled back, "Thanks for keeping me company."

"Anytime."

**

In the morning, I was woken by four obnoxiously loud teenage boys running down the hallway. Well, that and the smell of something amazing downstairs.

As much as I wanted to stay in bed all day and avoid the conversations with people to come, I ended up getting out and putting on some sweatpants. I'd take a shower after breakfast... I'd never underestimate my ability to put everything off to the last moment.

Heading downstairs, I found the boys all around the counter and Karen finishing up with her cooking.

"This looks great," I said as I walked in.

Everyone looked up to see me, which made me uncomfortable. Luke and Calum waved from their spots, and Michael was busy doing something. Ashton never looked up.

"How did you sleep last night?" Karen asked with a smile.

"Great," I lied. How could I have slept after a night like last night?

I heard Ashton chuckle and rolled my eyes.

I helped her set up all the food and we stepped back to let the boys ravage what she had prepared.

"Where's my dad?"

"He had to go in to work today. He will be back later this afternoon," Karen said, "Thanks for helping me! Michael will only help if I threaten him."

"Heard that!" Michael yelled from the table.

Karen and I laughed, and I grabbed a plate of food from whatever was left. I was just as hungry as the boys probably were right now. I grabbed a seat next to Luke and Michael. Ashton sat in front of me and flashed a quick smile that nobody else saw. Karen disappeared into the other room, leaving me alone with the boys again.

"Got any plans today, Lauren?" Calum looked up from his already clean plate and proceeded to down a glass of orange juice.

"Oh yeah, tons." I replied to Calum, who looked very confused.

"No, I'm joking... I don't have any."

He tried to laugh it off, which made me laugh too.

"Want to come watch our band practice?"

"Maybe. What kind of music?"

"Kind of pop punk."

I nodded and bit a piece of bacon from my plate.

"Alright, but it'll be pretty hard to impress me after last night. You'll have to put on quite the show for me..."

"We can try," Michael laughed.

"Yeah, and you won't be the only girl there. Ashton and Luke's girlfriends usually come."

My stomach dropped a bit, and I looked up at Ashton, who was staring at me. As soon as we made eye contact, he looked away.

I don't know why I thought that maybe after hanging out in the kitchen and on stage last night, he could possibly like me or be somewhat interested. No, it was all just for fun. None of that was flirting... He has a girlfriend. Besides, I told myself I didn't need to get involved with any boys while I was here anyways. Whatever, I'm fine. You could call me Miss Moving On.

"We figured we would head to Luke's house in like an hour if you still want to come," Calum said.

"Cool, I'll go shower and get ready."

This should be fun. I'm here to enjoy myself this summer. Boys are the least of my priorities. 

Boys are the least of my priorities...

Upstairs, I closed my bedroom door and got into the shower. It felt good to wash off all the dirt and sweat from last night. As much as I wanted to forget about it, my mind kept wandering back to Ashton's girlfriend... Was she pretty or nice?

Getting out, I pulled on some jeans and my ATL shirt that I got at the concert last night. Checking my phone for the time, I had just enough to make myself look a little bit more presentable.

After putting on a bit of makeup and attempting to dry my hair, I heard Michael call from outside my door.

"Coming!" I grabbed my phone before running down the stairs and meeting up with Michael, Calum, and Luke.

"Hurry up, Ashton! We're going to be late!"

He opened up Michael's bedroom door and walked out wearing his new shirt and skinny jeans, while his hair was wet from what I'll assume was a shower. We were nearly matching.

He looked gorgeous.

I turned away and moved closer to Calum and Luke.

"We can all ride over in my car again?" Ashton asked..

"Hell no, I'm not sitting between Calum and Luke again! Lauren and I can go in my car. We'll meet you guys over there."

Ashton tensed up a bit, but seemed to try and smile. I was kind of thankful for Michael stepping in like that. I don't know if I would want to be sat between Calum and Luke either.

We all went out front to Michael and Ashton's cars. Michael and I got into his, and I put on my seat belt. The same music from last night was now playing in the car and it made me smile.

"Sorry if Ashton is bothering you."

I looked over at him in surprise. Did he notice or had Ashton mentioned something?

"What do you mean?" I asked him, raising an eyebrow. I didn't want to seem too interested. It's not like I wanted him to be mad at me for being interested in one of his best friends. 

Michael just shrugged his shoulders.

"I don't know. Sometimes he just comes off the wrong way... He's always been the player-type. His girlfriend is kind of a whore. You probably wont like her, but don't mention that I said anything."

My eyes widened at his harsh choice of words, but I went along with it.

"Oh."

"Yeah. Just... Don't let it get to you. He can be great with words and it's not like he'd unattractive either... I just don't really want to see you get your feelings hurt or whatever."

I laughed and looked over at him.

"Thanks...for those...kind words."

He looked over and smiled slightly.

"No problem. That's what step-brothers are for, or at least that's what I assume. I'm still getting used to this kind of stuff."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hiiii thanks for reading! Hope you guys are liking it! Probably wont update much during the week bc school, but I'm not going to stop writing this story! Let me know what you think! Please comment and vote! Thanks. 

You can follow me and my two friends on our 5sos twitter too!1!!!1!! @micHELLclifford