Chapter One "Bleed"

(EDITED)

Sitting in the soft chair next to the fire I began to consider my life. I should have been homeless after my mother's death, graveling for food and begging for money. I had not living relatives, and if Children Services would have gotten a hold of me I would have bounced from foster home to foster home until I turned eighteen and was left on my home. All of this would have happened to me if it was not for Christian.

When Christian found me I was covered in blood and I was traumatized after killing my first werewolf. Once I was in his care I began my rigorous training as a werewolf hunter. The work was hard, and painful, but I revered in it. I made my training my religion, I lived for it. My training was the only thing that would ensure my revenge and there was no way that I would allow my revenge slip through my fingers simply because of laziness. Christian helped remake me into a hunter.

"Schuyler." Christian's voice broke through my reminiscing mind. I knew that he was going to reprimand me for not keeping my eye on the future.

I turned my eyes to my instructor, my boss, my friend and the only father I have ever known. "Yes, sir?" I questioned.

"You were not in the present." He scolded He was sitting on the chair across from me, with the fire in between us. His hands rested on his thighs, as he commonly did when he was irritated.

"No, sir, I was not." I defended myself. I looked at his eyes for a fleeting moment and then looked away. I could hand slicing a wolf's throat open, or snapping his neck with my own hands but I did not like being scolded.

"You know what I think about that." He said, ignoring my defense. He knew better. My eyes met his again, and I saw that his face was hard. His eyes were a hard, steel grey and his face was marred by scars. I was unsure as to how old he was, but he had to at least be in his late thirties. "You need to get cleaned up, there is blood on your face." He smiled softly, switching from my instructor to my caring father. The smile made the scars look less harsh, and made his face look much more welcoming.

"Is there?" I reached my hand up to my face and my fingers brushed against crusted blood. I had only used a towel to wipe off my face, so I should have not been surprised that some blood still lingered. I did not mind the blood, it was a prize of sorts.

"Go wash up, rest. Joshua will be back within two hours, and we will be going out." He said, in an odd tone. I looked him over, seeing the stress fill his body and his jaw was clenched tightly. He was clearly uncomfortable about something. That was when I registered his words

"We? As in the three of us?" I asked, my eyes widening. We never hunted together. I was a solo hunter, having a male with me ruined my methods and I preferred to keep my distance from Joshua, who could be careless at times. Joshua was another one of Christian's mentees, although I was not sure as to where he come from and quite honestly I did not care.

Christian nodded, but he did not fill me in to the details and I did not ask. Christian would tell me when the time was appropriate.

I stood up then, ready to go rinse myself of the blood and the smell of wolves. made my legs itch. I did not say anything to Christian as I walked to my bathroom. I was ready to wash away the blood on my face, but I knew I could never wash the blood from my hands and I was perfectly ok with that fact.

The house had four bedrooms, and four bathrooms, three that were connected to three rooms and the other for guests that we never had. Christian, Joshua, and I all had our own rooms with the bathrooms connected and the fourth room was used to store our weapons. The property that we lived on was large, and was in the center of a river that had been separated and the beginning of the property and reconnected at the end so that we had our own moat around the house. Next to the house held a large garage that had more square feet than the house. Within the garage were more weapons and vehicles but I never entered there so I was not sure exactly what was in there.

I turned the shower on, and letting the room fill with steam as I gathered my thoughts. I stripped myself of my clothes and stepped into the scalding water. My hands began to work on cleaning my body but my mind was on autopilot. My mind was elsewhere. Flashes of blood splashing on my face caused me to freeze.It wasn't blood I had spilled, and it wasn't blood I had wanted to spill.

It was that night that I was recalling, the night that changed my life. I had always thought my mother was a lunatic, a superstitious fool, until that night. It had been an usual night, my mother and I curled up on the couch watching something on the television. We were not curled up together, because we had argued earlier that day and I was angry with her. I wished I had held her. If I had known it was her last night, I would have never let her go.

The show was interrupted by a knock on the door and I did not eve have to look at my mother to know that she grew stiff. She always did when we had visitors. My mother trusted very few people. I remembered clenching my jaw, trying to ignore her. I remember thinking how irritating she was, and how much I wish I had another mother. I stood up, ready to answer the door, but she stopped me.

"Don't answer it Sky, honey. I'll get it, you hide, alright?" She smiled softly. Her eyes looked sad, much more than usual.

I should have listened to her, I should have hid, because if I had I would have never had to see what I saw. My mother did not even have time to reach the door before the large dogs rammed it open. They were all in wolf form, and their teeth were on display. I had scrambled over the couch, hiding on the side but I could still see it all. They went straight foer my mother, her blood calling to them. The largest one crushed her skull in its mouth, spraying blood and brains everywhere. They all began to lap up her blood, as if they were dying of thirst.

That night, was the first night I killed.

I knew the monsters would turn on me, all of my mother's warnings floating through my mind. I knew that I had to be ready. I had moved as quietly as possible to the kitchen, but the wolves were too distracted by my mother's blood to even notice. I searched the kitchen for any tool to use against the wolves. I quickly found a butcher's knife. I snuck back into the living room and up to the large wolf that had crushed my mother's skull. It had been licking up my mother's blood, the sound of its tongue against the hot liquid, the sloshing noise, still made me nauseas. I swung the blade down on its neck, sending the blade through his fur, skin and veins. I had nearly cut his head entirely off and his body fell limp. He fell face down in the crimson elixir. The other wolves would have come after me, if Christian hadn't stopped him.

I remember the feeling that went through me as I watched the wolf twitch and die, because of what I had done to him. I remember the strength that I felt, the empowerment that it caused me. I knew then that I wanted nothing more than to destroy the wolves.

I clenched my jaw, feeling the hatred fill me. I would make the wolves bleed, every one of them, they would all bleed. I wanted them all dead, by my hands.

I turned off the water, and wrapped a white towel around myself. I walked to my room, and shed the towel, like I shed my innocence so many years ago. I tossed the towel in the clothes hamper and then began to prepare. I slid on my black elastic pants, that allowed for easy movement and felt almost like second layer of skin. Then I slid my black shirt, which shimmered in the light, the golden protective threads catching the light perfectly. I laced up my combat boots, which not only helped me break a wolf's jaw but also had four small knives hidden in them. I slid my hands into my gloves, which helped me pierce through a wolf's chest and rip his heart out. I strapped two knives on my waist, and one on the inside of my thigh. Finally I covered my weapons with my red trench coat.

Now that I was dressed and my mind was was clear, it was time to hunt again.