Chapter Four "Answers-Part One"

I sat in front of the fire, holding my hands close enough to warm them but not close enough to burn them. My wet hair dripped on the carpet and soaked my shirt. I had showered and dressed in pajamas, and still the boys were not home. The only noise echoing throughout the hours was the cracking of the wood in the fire. A book rested next to me and I wanted to read it, but my concern for Christian was too overwhelming.

I wiggled a little, unable to sit still and relax. Even the usually peaceful feeling of the fire did nothing to sedate my anxiety.

            Then, I heard the van door shut from outside. I jumped up, pulling my boots on and grabbing my pistol. I preferred to use knives, but I was still a gun expert. I peaked out the window and I saw Christian walking to the back of the van. What was he doing? I could have waited and watched, but that wasn’t me. I flung the door open and made my way to Christian just as he and Joshua pulled an unconscious man from the back of the van. Dark bruises and deep cuts littered the man’s body.

            “What is going on?” I asked and they froze.

            “Schuyler? You shouldn’t be back yet!” Christian said, stepping in front of the man.

            “And why not? I walked home because I couldn’t find the van. I thought you were in danger, and instead you were taking a prisoner. That’s a wolf, correct?” I waited for them to deny it, but they said nothing. “How long has this been going on?” I demanded. “What haven't you been telling me?”

            “Joshua, take him to the usual place, I will talk to Schuyler.” Joshua lifted the body and carried him around the side of the house. Christian went to rest his hand on my shoulder but I pulled away.

            “Not until I have my answers.”

            I turned around and walked into the house. I welcomed the warm air, but again it did nothing to soothe me. I sat down on the couch, far enough away from the fire that could not me and give me it’s true warmth. I didn't want to become relaxed.

“What do you want to know?” Christian asked, sitting on the chair. He was far from me, the fire only revealing part of his face.

“Let’s begin with that wolf. Why is he here?”

“How did you think we received all our information? We are not a large corporation, we do not have spies. We obtain our information the old fashion way: torture.”

“We, you, torture the werewolves?” I wasn’t sure if I was okay with that. Killing them was one thing, torturing was another. I enjoyed blood on my hands as much as the next person, but beating someone who was tied down seemed too inhumane for me.

“It was not a coincident that I was there that night, Schuyler.” Christian said, ignoring my question and changing the topic completely.. “Your mother hired me to protect you, at all costs. She hired me to let her die, and make sure that you lived.”

“How did my mother know you?” I asked. There was a silence for a while, which concerned me.

“You are not fully aware of the curse on your family, why the werewolves want you so bad. Werewolves are cursed as well. The moon holds their souls captive. When the full moon appears the wolves do not reach their peak, but rather the moon steals their power, their strength. They are useless on a full moon. Also, to tap into their true strength they need to be in their wolf form. Your blood is so enchanting, so mesmerizing, because within your body lies the cure. Your blood can have the blood the cure that they seek for. If they consume your blood, they are no longer victims of the moon, and they can use their true strength in their human form. Though they become so blind by the innate desire for your blood that they do not think, especially the lone wolves. They attack, and try to feast on your blood, but the smarter ones wait. The more intelligent wolves know that in order to unlock the curse within you, there are certain tasks that must be performed. The wolf that killed you mother knew that, only when he knew it was time to kill your mother, she vanished. It took him fifteen years to hunt her down, only to find out that her blood did not contain enough of the cure to help any wolf.”