Chapter Six--Into Hiding

“Why don't we just make a run for it?” Alexander asked, looking at the van. We had escaped the building that I had believed to be the garage but instead it was a torture building.

            “They will expect that.” I said, looking for a way to sneak out. I heard him moving behind me and when I turned round he was taking off his pants. “What are you doing?!” I whisper-yelled.

            “Hold these.” He said, throwing his pants at my face. I ripped the from my face in order to glare at him. “I know you won't enjoy this but if you want to get out of here, jump on my back.”

            “Wha—” He cut me off transforming into a wolf. I watched his face contort, changing from a young man to a powerful wolf. The elongated snout snarled and the predator glance of the creature landed on me. He tilted his head to the ground, making it so I could climb onto his back. I hesitated for a moment, only to realize that I didn't have much of a choice. I hoisted myself on to his back and I gripped his fur tightly. I had his pants pressed between his muscles and my palms.

            He bolted out into the open before seeking the cover of the forest. I felt the muscles beneath me tense and loosen as he ran. It felt wrong, it felt blasphemous to be this close, this personal with the enemy. But who was my enemy? I was obviously clueless when it came to who I was meant to trust.

            Alexander skid to a halt when a large river came into view. He looked up into the sky to see that the snow was beginning to fall at an increasing rate. I looked behind us and I could see that the snow covered our tracks, and hopefully our scent.

            We had to cross the river, we had no choice. The current had slowed a bit but it was still moving at a fast pace. He moved towards the river, his feet sinking into the snow.

            “Wait.” I ordered. I jumped off him and then stripped myself of my outer layers. The cold breeze brushed against my skin and goose bumps covered my body. I wrapped my clothes, boots and Alexander’s  pants up in my shirt. I pulled myself back onto Alexander’s back and he slowly stepped into the icy river. The water didn't touch me for a moment, but when it did I sucked in a breath. Alexander began to swim with the current, while I held our clothes up, preventing them from getting wet. I could feel the icy fingers of the water raking against my bare legs. I shivered as the current led us down stream. We stayed in the river until I simply couldn’t take it anymore.

            “Alexander, I have to get out.” I told him with chattering teeth. He swam towards the edge of the water and he dragged himself onto the bank. He slipped as he pulled himself up and he sent my flying into the snow. I jumped up quickly, so that the ice wouldn’t touch me. I yanked my dry clothes on quickly, glad to be covered by something still semi-warm. Alexander shook himself off and I set his pants next to him. I turned my back to him and I could hear his bones snapping a moment later.

            “We have to get a hotel room.” He said, walking up to me. He stopped to look down to me.

            “Do you have money?” I asked, looking him over. He was toned, and it seemed as if he worked hard for those muscles.

            “Of course.” He smirked.

            “Well, you do that and I'm going to get a few things.” I said as began to make our way to the town. I could see the lights and I knew he could hear the people, even with my less advanced hearing I could hear the sounds of a town. I could still feel the cold fresh on my skin, I had to keep my jaw clenched to stop myself from shivering.

            “You have money?”

            “Don't need it.” I said, looking towards the town. I could see it, and it didn't seem too large but it was large enough to hid in and that’s all that we needed. “Whoever finishes first, finds the other.”

            I left Alexander and found the first store. I looked out for the cameras and when I spied none I started my process. I went for the small things first, the hair color, scissors, make-up, the very generic and very potent soap and shampoo and cheap perfume and cologne. I then grabbed a jacket, pants, a shirt for Alexander and I and then finally a backpack, to shove it all in. This store wasn’t used to someone stealing from them and I was going to take advantage of that. I waited until the cashier was distracted by a very lovely blonde and then I walked out. I made sure not to look around and I walked with purpose. I was about to look for Alexander as I walked into the street, but he found me first.

            “I have a room, and a surprise.” He smiled. He led me back to the motel, which was a decent place. The walls were yellowing and there was a strange stench, but it was tolerable. Alexander led me down the hall, to the back of the hotel to a door that had cracking red paint on it. He swung it open and the sweet scent of food caressed my nose and I smiled. It was simply pizza, but I didn't. Alexander laughed as I ripped a slice from the pie and shoved half of it into the mouth.

            “Shut up.” I mumbled through cheese and dough.

            “You act so much like a lady, I'm surprised.” He winked, going through the things that I brought back. “What, no jacket for me?” He whined.

            “You know full well that you don't need one.” I said, swallowing another barely chewed bite of pizza. If I continued this way I would choke.

            “What's with all the smelly stuff?” He said, scrunching his nose.

            “To hide our scents. Whether you like it or not, we are stuck together at the moment and we need to make sure that we cover up who we really are. Until he are far enough away from this damn place, then we should be fine.” I said, swallowing the rest of the pizza.

            “This stuff reeks, I don't want to smell like this.” Ha said, dropping the bag onto the bed and grabbing a slice.

            “We don't have much of a choice.” I stood up, and grabbed everything I was going to need. “I’m going to shower and then I am going to bed, we need to get rest and we need to switch watches. You'll take first watch.” I ordered and then went into the bathroom. I set the supplies on the sink counter and looked into the mirror. I looked at my long, blond locks and sighed. I didn't like girly things, I wasn’t one to get excited at the mere sight of shoes, but my hair was my one tie to my mother. I took a deep breath. “Sorry, mom.” I said, taking the scissors to my hair.

Sorry for the long break! It's back! So, what do you think? I know it is sort of a filler, but hopefully it is still tolerable!