Chapter 5

Hey everyone! Sorry it's been so long since I've updated, just went back to school and also dancing last week so I might not be updating as often as I did. Enjoy! X

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

“I didn’t think that you’d come,” Daisy said, still facing away from me. I can barely hear her voice over the crashing of the waves and the whistle of the wind.

“Well here I am! You know that I’d never let you down Daisy, after all you are my best friend!”

“S is after us,” She blurts out. A million thoughts buzz through my head at that moment; how does Daisy know what S is capable of? Has something happened to her? Did S hurt her? “We really need to watch our backs, whoever S is, is dangerous.”

“What would make you say that?” I ask, hoping she’d tell me if something’s happened, if I did something wrong, S would warn me first right? Then I remember one of the first texts I got from S, right before the snake attack; it went something like:

Tell her and she’ll end up like the rest of them.

-S

I did tell Daisy about S, and then the snakes attacked us. A single thought runs through my mind now, which is unusual; especially these days. What if S confused me with Daisy and was meant to put Daisy in the box to ship off to some unknown, foreign place; maybe my parents weren’t dead, S had just tried to disguise their disappearance as a death so that no one would look for them afterwards.

It all made perfect sense, the pieces fit together perfectly now; like a jig-saw puzzle, only this puzzle was probably only half complete, so many missing pieces left for me to find and place in the correct place.

I didn’t even give Daisy a chance to answer the question before I got up and started to walk away, even this place didn’t seem to be concealed enough if I was going to tell her what I had just figured out.

“Hey wait! Where are you going? I have so much to tell you!” Daisy calls out, her voice like a whisper, even though I know that she’s shouting at the top of her lungs; her voice being carried away by the wind for someone else to hear.

“I know, me too, that’s why we need to find a safer place to talk, we’re way too out in the open here; anyone could be listening in.” By now she’s caught up with me and just nods her head.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

We were nearly at the end of the wharf when I came to the realisation that once we were out in the open it’d be so much easier for S to hear us so I was compelled to ask the same question that was probably on Daisy’s mind too.

“Where are we going exactly?”

“I know a place,” is all Daisy has to stay to put my mind to rest for just a little while longer.

We reach the end of the wharf and Daisy begins to guide me through the twists and turns of the narrow streets.

“How do you know your way so well around this place? It’s so confusing!”

“Don’t you know where we are Clar?” She questions me.

“Err ... no,” I reply.

“We’re in Paris! Geez Clar it is kind of hard not to know that, I mean we just walked past the Eiffel Tower!” She says accusingly.

I decide to lighten the mood a bit, “The Eiffel what?” I say giggling.

“Oh gosh Clara, I’ve been here so many times I know it like the back of my hand.”