Chapter 8

More than a little over 2 weeks later, I was at work. It was a Saturday night and we weren't entirely too busy.

Normally this would be a shocker, but not tonight it wasn't.

The circus was in town for the last week, and it was leaving tomorrow night so every teenager, adult and kid in town was over there.

I couldn't go, because even though we were fully capable of having one person working tonight, the head manager insisted on 3 of us.

Michael decided that if I couldn't go to the fair, he wasn't going to go either and so me and him were hanging out at my work as I sneakily stole burgers that we ate in the back of the restaurant.

"Can I ask you a question?"

I rolled my eyes and nodded my head. He always asked me that before asking the actual question, which annoys me slightly.

"Why don't you like Calum?"

I stopped eating the fries I made 5 minutes prior.

"W-what?"

"You don't have to answer if you don't feel like it," He awkwardly scratched his back and pulled out his backpack "can we study for the calculus test? I didn't understand that one theorem"

"Michael" I said in a stern voice

"What?" He said, stopping his shuffling. I was staring at him straight in the eyes.

"What?" He asked again, sinking down in his seat, the uneasiness set in his face.

"Why do you want to know?"

"You don't have to tell me, I just...nothing. You don't have to tell me"

"You just what?" I pressed on

"Calum is a cool dude. He's funny, and really nice and yeah"

I looked back down at my fries.

"Yeah, I know"

"Weren't you super close to him?"

"Not super close, but close"

"So what happened?"

"He left." the tone in my voice most likely shocked Michael, because he didn't bring it back up again.

The truth is, I wanted....no, I needed someone to talk to. I couldn't keep all of this bottled up inside of me. I wanted to tell people everything but I was afraid of getting judged.

I know-- it's a stupid fear, but that's what I was mostly afraid of. I'm afraid of opening up. I'm afraid of getting too close, and you know what? I let myself get too close to Calum, only for him to hurt me in ways I wish he knew, because then he'd know the reason why I was mad.

"Saba?" I felt like the world was whispering to me, but one look on his face I could tell he was yelling.

There's only one time when everything usually feels like a whisper.

When did I start crying? I could feel streams of hot fluid flowing down my cheeks.

Oh no.

It was happening. I haven't had these since the night after Calum.

I immediately stuck my head in-between my legs.

My heart was beating abnormally fast, and I was sweating like crazy.

"Saba!" the whispers of my name were happening again. Deep down I knew they weren't whispers. In fact a whisper that loud to me in my condition meant in reality people were actually screaming my name.