Chapter 12

Tension.

The dictionary defines it as mental or emotional strain.

Right now, the room was full of it.

I was completley done with the drama in my life. Spring break was over, it was time to get my shit together if I really wanted college, and I really needed college.

I was starting fresh and forgetting about all the mess.

Until I walked I walked into my house.

"What do you mean I have to quit?"

"Saba, it's time for you to focus on your school" My mom said as she got ready for work as if dropping this bombshell of a news was the most casual thing.

"Mom, I have been focusing on school. I have been doing fine to balance them both. I'm fine."

"It is what it is Saba. Why can't you respect your mothers wishes for once?" She sighed in Amharic

I knew there was no arguing with her. At the end of the day, it's always her word.

"Okay, well today I'm gonna go walk over there and tell them I quit. I hope you're happy."

"Today is school? Right?"

"It's a off day"

"Okay"

After a few minutes of silence she called my name

"Saba?"

"Hm?"

"Who is the boy with the rainbow hair? The boy when we took you to the hospital?"

"Michael?"

"He's a nice boy."

I smiled as I walked out of the room.

A couple of hours later, I got ready to leave the house. I was ready to sadly end a part of what little sweet, sweet freedom I had from this household.

I knew Calum would stop by any moment according to the text he had sent me earlier and I didn't want to be here when he did.

I locked the door and walked my usual route to work for what would probably be the last time.

I thought about what would happen. I thought about what Kacey would think. She would be really pissed off at me, I knew it. We were eachothers only friends at work. 

I was about to end almost a years worth of memories at that place. The gross greasy smells that make me sick and the loving coworkers who unknowingly fixed the hole Calum left in me.

Speaking of the devil, I bumped into him. Literally,

"Saba!" He cheered as he saw me

"What?" I snapped, angry that he made me drop my purse.

He peered into the bag for a second and looked at me

"Where are you headed?"

"Work" I replied

"I didn't know you were working today"

"What? Did you memorize my work scheduale?" I chuckled slightly

"You can say that. Anyways, I'll walk you."

"No really, it's fine. I'm not gonna be there long, I'm on my way to hand in my uniform actually" I said pulling my work shirt from my bag to show him.

"Wait, what? Why?"

"Mom..."

"Ahhh, I see"

We walked in silence for the next couple of minutes.

"Hey!" I yelled as he took my bag out of my hand "What the fuck!?"

He pulled various things out of my bag, including lipsticks, chapsticks, and a few pads. As embarassed as I was that he was dropping my lady products to the ground like that, I was too mad to pay attention to those things.

"Calum...I..." My breath was lodged in my throat

"So not only do you smoke weed, you're popping pills?" 

"H-how did you know about the weed?"

"I'm not stupid, I saw it in your drawer in your room"

"It's not any of your buisness" I told him as I looked to the ground

"Saba! Look at me! Drugs are serious, are you fucking kidding me? When did you start popping pills again?"

"Technically I'm not 'popping pills'. It's my anxiety medication for when I have another panic attack."

"Okay, so are you having a panic attack?"

I looked up at him.

"Stop staring at me like that" I sneered

"Like what?"

"Like I'm stupid"

"Well I certainly don't see you as smart right now."

I tried grabbing my purse from him, but he was taller than me and put it up in the air.

Instead, I bended over to pick up the various lady products on the floor, my face flushed red with anger and embarrasment.

"I think we're done here now. My purse?" I said in the coldest voice I could muster up.

"The pills stay with me. Here's your purse. Oh yeah, and I'm coming with you." He replied in an equal tone. 

 I sighed. I was getting used to his stubborness anyways.

"Only if you agree to stop staring at my ass"

He smirked.

"Calum, I know you better than anyone else."