Chapter 71: The Liar and the King

The morning was bright and cool. A light rain had come down in the early hours as Joshua and I went our separate ways after a successful night to prepare for today, and the whole city felt scrubbed clean. The harbor's saltwater scent drifted down the gold-brown streets and alleys and it felt like everyone moved around a little more light and relaxed than usual.

Even I was feeling the effects of unusually nice weather. It was easier to let go of my anger when Evvie caught me on my way out of the Firebird, tipping my face up to the sun.

"Morie? Where are you going?" She asked, falling into step beside me, though leaving more distance than usual between us.

"I have business in the Assassin's Court. Don't I look like it?" I had dressed in a deep red tunic and a new black cloak with dragon designs on its hem in a dark gray— meaning I knew it looked like I was on my way to wreck havoc. I happen to really enjoy wrecking havoc, especially on perfect sunny days like this one, because then no one was expecting it.

"Are you..." She hesitated. "You're not staying there, are you?"

I sighed. "I'm not leaving the Phoenix. I'll admit it, I overreacted last night. No, you guys don't control me, but I chose to be on your side."

"Good. I'm sorry about all that. I really messed up, trying to get my point across. I don't agree with those people, you know, but sometimes I feel you don't always remember that a lot of people see Guardians that way. There's a storm coming, and we all have to be facing realty when Magali makes her move."

"I still doubt she's moving at all." As much as the princess had changed in the last week or so before I'd left, she wasn't ready to be queen. And she would need more allies than Irina Laycreek to help her even if she did want to make a move for the throne, against her father of all people.

Evvie shrugged. "We'll see." A sudden look of distrust crossed her face, and I realized Joshua was waiting on the next street corner. "I didn't get a good look at that guy the entire time we were on our way back. Is that—?"

"Joshua Coal, yeah. You know each other?" I was very interested in how Joshua fit into Maenar. Before finding out who he really was, I couldn't have imagined him having a place in this city of thieves and secrets.

She shook her head. "No, he was Roman's right-hand man— he didn't mix with rebels. But anyone who runs in the Thieves' Caverns knew who he was, before he disappeared. I didn't believe the rumors that he was coming back. Why was he helping you rescue us? We need to figure out why he's back, quickly."

"Oh, I know why."

"For God's sake... of course you do, you're ridiculous. How do you get involved in this stuff?"

I raised a hand to Joshua with a sarcastically large wave, noticing that he'd refused to acknowledge us approaching. "Oh, you know. Friends of friends."

"What?"

"Nothing. You should probably, you know..."

"Right, I'm not invited to your secret assassin meetings, I get it." She gave Joshua one last frown and set off into the crowded streets, leaving us to walk the rest of the way together.

"Was that Ysmay's daughter?" He asked.

"Niece. You're losing your touch."

He rolled his eyes. "My touch isn't remembering people, it's killing them."

"Ooh, edgy." I snickered. "So how does this work? I go in first?"

"Yes. Don't hold your breath, Roman might make me wait all day to officially announce that I'm back, just to prove he can."