Chapter 21: The Other Apprentice

It's not long, but I kinda like this chapter. Also, I just got some new art supplies for my birthday (*cough* it's on monday *cough*) so I might have some new character drawings to show you with the next update!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I lay in bed all morning, listening to the torrent of rain and thunder outside. My excuse was having forgotten to pack a waterproof cloak and having only one pair of shoes I couldn't afford to get soaked, but by lunchtime my growling stomach helped me admit I mostly just didn't want to get up and have to make any decisions. Half asleep under my covers it was easier to convince myself that everything was okay. If I actually stood up and got dressed and had breakfast I'd have to start thinking about what Ysmay had said last night, and what to do about the rebels, and how to continue my search for Jaden's friend.

If my stomach hadn't been so persistent in growling I might have managed to stay in bed all day. Betrayed by own body, I grumbled to myself as I went downstairs. The inn was more crowded than I'd expected, and after getting my food I decided to return to my room but Wes caught me before I could, grabbing my arm as I passed his table.

"I've been waiting here all morning," he said, skipping any kind of greeting.

"Frankly, that's kind of creepy," I told him, pulling my arm out of his hand. "Didn't your mother ever teach you any manners?"

"Did yours?"

"Not really, but Jaden tried his best."

He grinned. "Me too. Wasn't very successful, was he?"

The sudden warmth in his expression surprised me, though it didn't last long. His face turned grim quickly.

"He didn't want to tell me about you," I said after a long pause. "But I got some bits and pieces of the story."

"How much?"

"That there was a big fight and then you left the capital to come here and be in the Phoenix. One thing I didn't exactly understand though-- why you had to leave. Was it entirely because of the fight? Because there were rebels in the capital, and I'm guessing you were already involved with them. It didn't seem necessary." And you made Jaden think you hated him, I decided not to add. Jaden had never said anything like that, but it seemed clear from the way he talked about Wes. He thought he'd failed-- though I had no idea what he'd been trying to achieve.

"That's a-- a very complicated story."

"And probably not any of my business," I said, though I wanted him to tell me anyway.

"Yeah. Anyway, Ysmay sent me to answer any questions you have, if I can. And to make sure you don't try to run from us. But mostly the first part."

"She thinks I'd try to run?" I finally sat down, deciding this conversation might take some time.

"Mostly she thinks you're probably a bit confused. But yeah, a little."

I rolled my eyes. "She gives you guys to much credit. I'm in Maenar for a reason. I wouldn't give up on that because a couple of rebels are getting in my way."

"I'll be sure to let her know. And since you have all these questions about why I'm here, do I get to ask what you're doing here?"

"You certainly can. And you'll get answers when I get answers to my questions."

"Jaden must have a real talent for picking smartasses," Wes said dryly.

The way he used present tense made my heart squeeze painfully for a moment, and something in my expression must have changed.