Chapter 13: A Question of Trust

Look at the pretty banner aishalam made me!! I have the best readers, don't I? XD

Also I have an AO3 account now. I don't think it affects anyone really because I didn't write fanfic on here anyway but if anyone else writes on there too, let me know!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Jaden never mentioned having a daughter," Wes added, his voice bitter.

"I-- I'm not..." She was tongue-tied from the sudden realization of who was standing in front of her.

Jaden's old student had become a kind of myth after so long of hearing only snatches of details about him, it was almost surprising to find he was flesh and blood after all. Flesh and blood and leather and the scent of smoke and blood and excitement that pushed her headfirst into memories of the match house.

"I'm not his daughter."

"Then--?"

"It's complicated." She'd been using his name as a cover, never considering it might get her into more trouble than her real name would. If only she'd thought quicker when the guard at the gate asked for her name.

"Isn't it always?" His smile was sour.

The other boy frowned. "This isn't the time to be catching up. I'm Kay, by the way, and we need to decide what to do with you."

"I've got a suggestion," Morane put in, but he was looking at Lucian.

"Think we should take her to a meeting? Let Ysmay decide?"

Lucian pushed straggly strands of black hair off his face as he considered. "Why? She's already explained that she thought I was Jan. She wasn't trying to cause trouble or spy. Can we justify taking her anywhere?"

"We've only got her word for that. Who's the say she wasn't spying?"

"I wasn't."

"Reassuring, but not enough." Kay tapped his fingernails against his knife and glanced at Wes. "What do you think?"

"I don't care." His face was dark. Before, she'd thought he seemed like the best humored of the three. Now she suspected his moods just swung quickly. "Be safe, I suppose. I'm not taking the blame if we let her go and she starts causing trouble."

"Neither am I," Kay decided. "We'll take her to tonight's meeting and let someone else make the decision."

Morane sighed. "I don't suppose I get a say in this?"

"No."

"I don't really want to go to one of your meetings."

"I just said you don't get a say."

She ignored him. "It sounds very tedious and will probably involve more walking and being bullied around by you three, not to mention facing the embarrassment of being caught by three incomp-- I mean, three very good fighters. So if you'd be kind enough to just forget about all this, I'd be happy to repay you."

Lucian looked as though he might agree, but Kay narrowed his eyes. "Why are you so anxious not to meet rebels? Or is it Ysmay you don't want to see?"

"I literally just gave you three reasons. How many do you need?"

"I don't need any reasons, just solid proof you're not a spy."

"Please. Who would I be spying for?"

"A different rebel group, the crown, or to find information to sell to either of them."

She opened her mouth but he cut her off with a slight smirk. "I literally just gave you three examples-- how many do you need?"