Chapter 43: Passwords

So, this might be the kind of chapter you guys yell at me for, but I'm pretty happy with it! So without further ado (okay, with some further ado) welcome to the Assassin's Court!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The only reason I went back to the inn that night was to lose Wes. I couldn't enter the Assassin's Court with him. To get Roman to listen to me I would undoubtedly have to tell him who I was and how Jaden had told to me to find him, and once Wes knew I was the Thief... well, I was keeping it secret for a reason. Who knew how fast word might spread back to the castle.

Ironically, it was just as I was thinking of this the next day when I got the letter.

I was checking in on Pitch's stable, as I did every few days to make sure he was being taken care of properly. I felt bad enough about having taken Nemia's horse-- the least I could do was return him in good shape.

"Hey-- Miss Eyro?"

I turned from Pitch's stall to see the stable master looking at me uncertainly. "Yeah?"

"You've, uh, got a letter." He stuck a folded piece of paper out at me.

I stared at it. "I didn't realize this was a couriering service as well."

"We're not," he said uneasily. "But the messenger who passed this note to us was very, er, persistent."

"He paid you a lot."

"Yeah."

I narrowed my eyes. "Who sent it? They addressed it to Adina Eyro?" No one I was worried about reaching me knew I was going by that name.

"Well, no. They said a tall girl, eighteen years old, brown hair and a black horse. From the way the messenger asked they were really focused on the horse-- probably only described the owner so we'd know what horse it was, you know? Probably want to buy it. Nobles are like that, you know, thinking they can buy anything they want."

"You think it was a noble?" None of this sounded good.

"Who else pays that much to deliver a message to someone whose name they don't even know?"

True. But again, not good. "Hand it over, I guess."

He did, looking glad to be rid of it. "You know, you don't have to sell that horse to just anyone who asks. Nobles always pushing people around..."

I certainly wasn't selling Pitch. He belonged to Nemia. "Thanks."

"No problem. Though, if you were looking to sell him, I might--"

"I'd better get going," I cut in.

"Oh. Okay. Well, consider my offer--"

"Absolutely," I said, already halfway out the door.

Outside, I stuffed the note into my pocket, heart sinking. I couldn't make myself believe it was just a noble who had caught sight of Pitch and wanted to buy him. Pitch was the only thing that linked me to the castle, if anyone recognized him.

Though if it was the Sage or someone like him, why bother with a letter not even using my name? He could just send guards instead to force me back to the castle.

I shook my head. I couldn't afford this kind of distraction tonight. Better to put it off and not let whatever was inside keep me from doing what I needed to do. Jaden's note was more important than this one.

But it also meant I shouldn't dillydally. Once I'd met with Roman I would have to immediately deal with this letter. So I had to go to the Assassin's Court tonight, and that meant no time to figure out a plan. The front door would have to do.