Chapter 43

From the warmth of the late afternoon, Harry, laden with two briefcases, struggled into the foyer of the Alton Club. Each case contained a copy of the Chin and Deighton files. Immediately, he felt the cool air conditioning creep around him.

Mumford, the concierge, hurried to his side.

“So good to see you, Mr. Jenkins,” he said as warmly as his gravelly voice would permit.

Harry was surprised. Never had he received more than a curt nod from the concierge at the desk.

“Quite a shake-up around here, sir.”

“How so?”

“Mr. Conroy has resigned his post at the Club to go on an extended vacation.” Mumford winked and said, “Thought you would want to know.” Smiling blandly at Harry’s confusion, he concluded, “Mr. Barrett is waiting for you in the lounge, sir.”

Briefcases in hand, Harry proceeded across the cool marble foyer toward the bar. At first he didn’t see Stephen, who was seated off in a darkened corner. All the curtains in the bar were drawn against the sunshine of a lovely early-summer day.

“I brought the complete files and a copy of them for you.” Harry set down the cases. “I want you to turn them over to the Law Society.”

Stephen nodded and held up his hand for the waiter. “I have an appointment with the counsel for the Discipline Committee in the morning.”

“I hate this kind of thing,” Harry grumbled as he pulled out a chair. “There’ll be no end of questions.”

“What you’re facing is nothing compared to Cheney, Arpin. Besides, the senior partners have the police to worry about as well.”

“What about my position?”

“There’s absolutely no evidence of intent on your part. That’s essential to prove criminal fraud. The ledger you took from Tony’s office, showing the flow of funds, helps to establish that you were used.”

Stephen ordered the drinks, then said quietly, “It’s not the law I’d be worried about, Harry.”

“Meaning?”

“Your biggest problem is the guys behind Cheney, Arpin.”

Harry fumbled for his cigarettes. “You mean, Benny?”

“Yes. Conroy didn’t leave town because he’s ashamed of himself.”

“So the Buffalo guys are after him? Jesus!” Harry breathed. “That means me too?”

The waiter returned with the drinks. Stephen shrugged. “I think you’d better give the two hundred grand back, Harry.”

“Gladly! I don’t need that kind of trouble.”

Stephen nodded briefly. “Good. I’ll arrange it.”

Harry looked at his friend carefully. “You know these people, Stephen?”

“I know enough not to cross them.” Stephen sighed and then said, “Tony died this morning.”

Harry’s shoulders sank. “That will make it harder.”

“For the police, maybe. But for the Law Society, I hear there’s a pretty good paper trail.”

“What are the charges against Cheney, Arpin?”

“Conduct unbecoming a solicitor.”

“And me?”

“There aren’t any, and my job is to ensure there never are. The less you have to say, the better. You knew nothing. You were duped. That’s your defence.”