Chapter 38

Katharine lay completely still in the narrow hospital bed, as if the slightest movement might destroy any shred of sanity. She tried to comprehend the dawning of her new world after last night. Thoughts like dark shadows hung over her, forcing realization. Her strength was no longer sufficient to protect her. Love and trust had been missing from her life all along. Such an understanding brought her façade crumbling down. She had to begin somewhere.

After leaving Tony, Harry telephoned his office. Surprisingly, Katharine Rowe wanted to see him as soon as possible about Marjorie’s estate.

Startled by the urgency of his own footsteps down the tiled hospital corridor, he felt clamminess creep over him. Impatiently, he edged by a cleaner’s cart blocking his way. Even if her room had been sunny, he would have had trouble recognizing Katharine. For fear of disturbing her lifeless-looking form, he moved silently toward the bed.

She looked even worse than she had in the emergency ward last night. The bruising encircling her neck had deepened to a dark purple, gashed with violent red burn marks. Although most of her cheek was covered in gauze, he could see the petal design etched in flaming red—so like the pattern on McKeown’s agenda. Punctured with a needle, her hand lay on the cover. What an unholy price to pay for her strange passions!

As he set his briefcase down, she turned her head slowly on the pillow. Her swollen eyes flickered open. Recognition was mirrored in her dark, intelligent eyes.

“You’ve come, Mr. Jenkins. Thank you,” she whispered.

He nodded. “What can I do for you, Katharine?”

“About Marjorie’s estate,” she mumbled. Her face, swathed in bandages, was like a death mask. “So hard to concentrate on anything…” Her voice trailed off, as if it pained her to speak.

Harry pulled up a chair and waited. “Do you remember what happened?”

“No.” There was a long pause. “Yes, at least parts of it.”

“Who attacked you, Katharine?”

She turned her head away from him on the pillow. “I don’t remember. It’s like a dream…you only get bits and pieces. “

“Was it Tony McKeown? You were going to see him.”

“I don’t know,” she whispered. “It must have been the Florist.” She began to weep silently.

Harry stood up and looked out the window. Rain spattered down over the parking lot. There was not much to see in the dreary view. Considering the horrific attack, no wonder her memory was poor.

Katharine began, “About the estate: I want out. Suzannah can have the house. I know how Marjorie felt about her daughter.” Her tone was flat, not bitter.

“So you knew.”

“Of course.”

“What about Gerry?”

“Gerry will go along with whatever I say.”

Gerry stood in the door clenching a bouquet of flowers. “What will I go along with, Katie?”

Katharine turned her head at his voice. “Is that you, Gerry?” she asked.

“Yes, it’s me.” Setting the bouquet on the bed, he peered down on her. “Jesus, Katie!” he whispered. “What happened?”

“She was attacked by a man last night,” Harry said.

“Holy shit! The Mad Artist? The Florist?” Gerry’s face flushed. “Who did this to you, Katie?”

“I don’t know. I can’t remember.”

Gerry glanced at Harry. “She has amnesia?”

“So it seems,” answered Harry. “But I suspect her memory is coming back slowly.”

Gerry turned back to Katharine. “What am I to go along with?”

“Nothing, Gerry. You can do what you want.” Katharine closed her eyes. “I’m just tired of fighting about the estate.”

Harry stepped forward. “She wants to withdraw her opposition to the second will.”

Every muscle in Gerry’s face tightened. “So Suzannah will get the house?”

“That’s what she’s told me.”

Gerry threw his coat on the chair. “God damn it! You can’t do that!”

“Do whatever you want, Gerry. I’m not stopping you,” Katharine said weakly.

Gerry leaned over and hissed, “Thanks for your permission. But without you, you know I’m dead.”

“Gerry, you’ll have to fight your own battles.”

“What? You’re dumping me just like that? You know I don’t stand a chance alone.”

“I’m tired, Gerry, of always protecting you. You’re too dependent on me. Look out for yourself, if you need the money that much.”

Pure hatred suffused Gerry’s features. “So you still see me that way? You bitch!” Reflexively, Gerry clenched his fist.

“Gerry, take it easy.” Harry moved toward the bed.

Gerry’s hand fell to his side. “Just like when we were kids. Nothing’s changed, has it?”

Katharine’s eyes hardened. “Gerry, I looked out for you all along. I can’t do it anymore.”

“Listen, this dental clinic’s destroying me. I’ve got a wife who spends like crazy and a son whose psychiatrist bills are sinking me. I have to have that money.”

Katharine seemed to withdraw. Her eyes grew flat and lifeless.

“Answer me! Why are you giving up?” Shaking his head, Gerry backed away. “Just like you, Katie. You won’t say who attacked you.” Gerry started to pace. “You won’t say why you’re giving up on the house. You just collect your dirty little secrets and keep them to use someday.” He stood over her, jabbing his finger. “Just like you’ve always done. No big surprise some guy did this to you.”

Katharine suddenly raised her hand. “Oh my God! I remember. We were in a restaurant.”

“Who was, Katharine?” Harry asked. “You and who else?”

Fright grew in her eyes. “He was asking me about Donnie.”

Gerry swung around. “Donnie? What about him?”

“He wanted to hire him as a summer student,” she moaned.

“God damn it, Katie. Who?”

Harry shook his head at Gerry. “Be quiet. Let it come back to her.” He took her hand. “What restaurant were you in?”

Recollection sparked in her eyes. “The City Bar and Grill, overlooking the City Hall Square.”

“Who were you with?” Gerry demanded.

Turning her head on the pillow, Katharine sighed. “It was McKeown, Tony McKeown. He’s going to hunt down Donnie.” Her eyes were bright. She clutched Harry’s hand. “He’ll kill him!”

“Jesus, Katie. We haven’t seen Donnie since the funeral. Where is this guy?”

Harry reached for the phone and called the police. Minutes later, he was still on hold, waiting for Sergeant Welkom. Slamming down the receiver, he asked,If Donnie hasn’t come home, where would he go?”

“Marjorie’s. He has a key,” said Gerry.

“We’d better get there right away.” Harry grabbed his case and with Gerry in tow, headed for his car.