Chapter 30

On the way back from Marjorie’s, where he had found the secret trust, Harry heard the news in the car. “An arrest has been made in the murder of Marjorie Deighton.” Harry turned up the volume and gripped the steering wheel.

“Last night, shortly after midnight, police arrested Mr. Albert Chin on charges of the murders of Miss Deighton and her housekeeper, Miss Rosalind Michaels, and two employees of the law firm Cheney, Arpin, Deirdre Jamieson and Linda Lee Hong.”

Harry caught the voice of Sergeant Welkom.

“The investigation has followed along the normal channels, in the usual manner. Good, careful police work has enabled us to make this arrest on all four murder charges.”

Harry snapped the radio off. They had arrested the wrong man.

Jesus! Good solid police work, he thought. Don’t call in forensics. Don’t do an autopsy. Ignore everything I’ve said. Don’t follow up with Frank.

Chin couldn’t weigh more than one hundred and forty pounds, and Rosie weighed at least two hundred pounds and was four inches taller. Already, he’d seen Frank’s handiwork. Poor Suzannah! Like an animal, Frank had torn and pounded her face. And he had plenty of reason to kill Marjorie. Harry knew he owed it to Suzannah to set the police straight.

When he stepped out of his car at the police station, reporters swamped him. Flashes blinded him as the reporters crowded in with their mikes and cameras.

“Sir? Are you Harold Jenkins?” a reporter shouted.

“What about the Albert Chin case?”

“Me?” Harry was flabbergasted. “How do you know me?”

“The police want to talk to you about some land deals you made with the accused.”

He pushed past the reporters and hurried to the front desk.

Trailing behind him, one reporter shouted, “Sir? Wasn’t Marjorie Deighton a client of yours? How is her murder connected to the two women from Cheney, Arpin? Were they in on the deals too?”

Harry demanded to see Welkom. He was surprised to be immediately ushered through the swing gate and down a corridor to an empty office.

Harry sat down on a chair, scrunching his knees under a small table. Moments passed. He looked out the window onto the parking lot. He stood up and leaned on the windowsill covered with grime. Not until he began pacing did he realize how small the room was—just like a cell. Typical intimidation by the police. What in hell had Chin been saying about him?

“Afternoon, counselor. Good of you to drop in. I’ve been looking forward to our little meeting.” Welkom tossed a binder on the table. Two more men crowded into the room.

“This here is Officer Riley.” Welkom gestured toward a man, who took a seat and grinned at Harry. “And here’s Officer Cominskey. They arrested our Mr. Chin early this morning.”

Welkom pulled his chair so close to Harry that their knees bumped. Riley leaned over the back of Harry’s chair. Cominskey sat motionless, staring at him. Swept by a wave of claustrophobia, Harry shoved his chair backwards, banging against Riley, who still grinned down on him.

Then anger surged in him. “It’s completely ridiculous. You’ve arrested the wrong man.”

“How so, counselor?” Welkom looked intently at him.

“I told you Frank Sasso should be investigated. He has plenty to gain from my client’s murder.”

“Like what?” Welkom asked.

“Marjorie’s house for his girlfriend. He forced Marjorie to make a new will, and likely stole the old one from my office. And I saw his girlfriend, Suzannah Deighton, today. There’s no doubt in my mind he beat her up. Besides, just look at Chin. He’s half Rosie’s size.”

“Where would we find this Mr. Sasso?” Cominskey asked mildly.

“He’s a realtor. His office is out on the Danforth.”

“A realtor? How well do you know him, sir?”

Harry was disarmed by the tone. “Well enough. For years, he’s been in my office trying to get money out of Suzannah Deighton’s trust fund.”

“What makes you think he did this?” asked Cominsky.

Harry leaned forward and spoke intently. “Frank brought Suzannah to my office today. Her face was bruised and scraped raw and her lip had been  split wide open and stitched up. Until I saw her with him, I wondered why beaten-up women didn’t just leave.” He paused, then continued more quietly, “But after seeing them together, I know why. It’s gut-wrenching fear, plain and simple.”

“Frank admitted that?” asked Cominsky.

“He didn’t have to. It was obvious.” Harry replied.

“Why didn’t you call the police?”

Harry sighed. “If you saw the pleading look in her eyes, you’d understand.”

“So this guy Sasso’s in real estate.” Welkom’s jaw jutted out. “Trying to pick up more commissions, counselor?”

Harry’s mouth dropped open. “What?”

“Well, counselor,” began Welkom, setting his cigar on the edge of the table, “Mr. Chin says you’ve had some real interesting land deals together.”

“I already told you about those, Sergeant Welkom.”

“In fact, he says you masterminded and drew him into a massive money-laundering scheme, demanding some very handsome secret commissions. And that you stole part of his retainer to cover some bank debts.” Welkom turned the page in his binder. “Says you even demanded a trip for you and your wife to the Bahamas.”

In shock, Harry said nothing.

The officer sat back and stared at Harry. “I hear the Atlantis Resort is a pretty fancy place. Most honest folk would have to save up for years to stay there.”

Harry knew he had turned a blind eye. Of course—what else could Chin have been doing other than laundering dirty money, and setting him up to take the fall?

Welkom squinted at him. “Says you put the whole deal together, so when Marjorie Deighton died, you’d sell him her house and pocket another fat commission.”

Harry spoke evenly. “Are you charging me with something, sergeant?” No one in the room responded. “Because, if you are, I want to call my lawyer.”

“What makes you think you’re being charged, counselor?”

“Obviously, your questions, sergeant.”

Cominskey spoke for the first time, in placating tones. “They’re just questions in the normal course of our investigations, Mr. Jenkins. Anything you can tell us might be helpful.”

Mutt and Jeff routines, thought Harry, glancing at the young officer. “I’ll say nothing until I speak with my lawyer.”

The sergeant gruffly slammed a phone down in front of Harry, who dialed Stephen immediately. Stephen’s voice was chilling. “Harry, keep your mouth shut until I get there.”

Within twenty minutes of Stephen’s arrival, Harry was released. They stood squinting in the sunlit parking lot.

“For Christ’s sake, Harry, stay away from the police. They’ve got nothing on you about the murders, but they’ll follow up on the money laundering. Don’t talk to them at all without me present.”

Shaken, Harry thanked Stephen. He had unwittingly walked right into the trap Chin had set for him. He got into his car and phoned his office. Laura had left a message. Back from Montreal, she wanted to talk over dinner. To regain some shared intimacy? No, probably to tell him she loved another man.