Chapter 34

Harry took the slow route back into the city along Kingston Road. He passed long stretches of broad, desolate roadway fringed with scabby motels and wrecked cars. Suddenly, he was pulling up in front of his house. A car sat in his driveway.

He almost wept. Were they here already? He could not bear the sight of Laura with Stover. He had always pictured the man with a pretentious goatee and a pipe, fat and out of shape, with little darting eyes and a fake English accent.

A man stepped from the car. He was alone. Did Laura lack the guts to come herself? Did she send her lover out to do her dirty work? The man bent to see Harry through the car window.

“Harry. It’s Bob Rowe. So sorry to disturb you, but…”

Harry was slow to understand. When he at last realized he was not confronting Stover, he shook his head and asked, “Bob, what are you doing here?”

Bob tugged on his goatee, “I’m afraid it is really urgent, otherwise I wouldn’t have come. But I have to find Katharine. I understand she had an appointment with you.”

“Yes, this afternoon, along with Gerry, Suzannah, and Frank.” Harry ushered Bob into the house.

In the living room, Bob sat on the edge of his chair and began fiddling with his tie clip. “Did she say where she was going?”

“Why don’t you tell me what’s wrong, Bob?”

Staring out the window, Bob spoke in a distant voice. “Katharine’s been threatened.”

Harry sat up. “By whom?”

Bob turned into the darkening room. “By Frank Sasso.”

“With what? You mean over the will?”

Bob shrugged helplessly. “It’s on the voice mail at home. Yes, he said he would hurt her if she didn’t stop the fight about Marjorie’s will.”

“You’re sure it was Frank?”

“Yes. He’s called the house before. I know his voice.”

“Did you call the police?”

“No, if they’re involved, Katharine would be furious.”

“But that’s ridiculous.”

Bob held up his hand. “You don’t know Katharine. She’d think I was spying on her.”

“What? When her safety’s at stake?” Harry thought he was less amenable to calling the police himself.

As if deciding whether to continue, Bob sat silent for some moments. “Katharine sometimes goes off. I mean, she has friends…men…that she meets.”

Harry saw Bob’s shoulders sag. He wanted to find words to console him, but could think of none.

As if a dam had burst, Bob turned to him. “Harry?” He fumbled for his pipe and polished its stem. “The only way I can make sense of it is this: I still love her. She’s strong, capable, brilliant, and tough. But she’s so strong that she can’t trust enough to love anyone. One part of her is at war with another.” His voice choked. “I’m afraid she’s doomed.” He buried his face in his hands. His voice came to Harry as if from a hollow void. That’s why she does it…she’s always hoping to find the one she can trust enough.” At last, Bob looked up at him. “That’s why I’m always there to pick up the pieces,” he said softly. “Since she knows I’ll always be there, she takes me for granted.”

With sadness creeping over him, at last Harry spoke. “Well, she had an appointment right after she left my office, with another lawyer, Tony McKeown.”

Bob removed his glasses and massaged his temples. “Can you call him for me, Harry? It’s all we have to go on.” Harry nodded and lifted the receiver.