Chapter Sixty: The Foundations of Trust

Latimer looked down at Bennet silently. She cleared her throat and took an uncomfortable step back. 

'It's going to be a long night, Squadron Leader Bennet. I don't need any unnecessary distractions.' 

Bennet glanced at Regan and lowered her voice. 'Having her here puts all of us in danger. She's unstable.' 

'We're always in danger, and I'd much rather have her on our side than not,' said Trevellian from behind her. 

Regan saw Bennet's brow furrow in irritation. 'My thanks to the spectator stands.' 

'Any time,' Trevellian smiled. 

'Whatever problems you're working through need to disappear right now.' said Latimer. 'I have to know I can trust you to keep your personal issues out of this. Can you do that?' 

Bennet rubbed her eyes. 'I don't think you've given me much of a choice.' 

'I'm glad to hear it.' 

Bennet took a few steps away from the group and walked to the edge of the roof. She looked out at the dark emptiness on the horizon with unseeing eyes and breathed deeply through her nose. Sarafina and Forester walked across the roof to join her. Sarafina laid a hand on Bennet's back, and Regan heared her speaking in hushed, urgent tones. 

Trevellian watched them for a moment, then rolled his wheelchair around the dry pool to Regan. 

'It seems you bring a little bit of sunshine into every life you touch.' 

'Did you believe you were special?' 

Trevellian gave a sardonic sigh. 'Up until now, I'd always thought I was.' 

'Your kind usually do.' 

For a few seconds neither of them spoke. Regan stood with her arms folded, looking out at the faint outline of the highway below them. The breeze pulled at her hair and made the edge of her skirt flutter. The night air still held some of the hot, dusty scent of the day. 

Trevellian looked up at the stars. 'I don't know what I'm going to do after tonight. People rarely trust a traitor.' 

'All infiltrators are traitors. I wouldn't worry about sinking any lower.' 

'Was that an attempt at consolation?' 

Regan shook her head. 'Just an observation that you're simply a different colour of scum now.' 

Trevellian gave her a penetrating look. 'Have you ever considered how you'll occupy your time once your quest for revenge is done?' 

Regan heard the scuff of a boot behind her and turned to see Bennet approaching flanked by Sarafina and Forester. She had a determined exression on her face that made her look like a toddler trying to walk for the first time, and she was holding a short spear with a red tassel tied behind the blade. 

Bennet stopped in front of Regan and squared her shoulders. 'I wouldn't choose to have you on my team, but at least for tonight, we're going to be relying on each other. Honestly, as long as everybody comes out of this alive, I don't care what you're like.' 

Bennet didn't wait for an answer. She quickly turned and walked away, as if being near Regan had been like standing in a fire. The wooden handle of the spear made soft taps on the concrete roof with every second step. 

Sarafina watched Bennet walk away, then smiled at Regan encouragingly. 'See, she really is quite nice once you spend some time with her.' 

Forester scratched the back of his head awkwardly. 'I'm not sure I'd ever describe Bennet as nice, but you can trust her to put the mission first. She knows what she's doing; I'll give her that.' 

'She'd better,' said Regan. 'Her skills are going to be tested soon.' 

Regan pointed towards the horizon. In the darkness, a set of headlights was drifting down the highway. 

Trevellian smiled. 'When did you notice?' 

'A little while ago.' 

'I'm glad. If we had to wait any longer, I was afraid that Latimer would start fraying at the edges.' 

He motioned to the other side of the roof with his head, where Latimer was struggling to light a cigarette with a silver lighter. 

'You may want to come and look at this,' Trevellian called to him. 'Our guest of honour is on her way.' 

Latimer nodded and joined them with the unlit cigarette still dangling from his lips. He lifted the lighter as Bennet drifted in beside him. 

'I'd quit while you're ahead, Latimer,' said Regan. 'If you succeed in lighting that, I'm going to make you eat it.' 

Latimer sheepishly removed the cigarette from between his lips. 'You wouldn't.' 

'Light it and find out.' 

They stood at the edge of the roof and watched the lights of the approaching car in silence. Regan estimated that it was less than three minutes away. 

'Where are your transporters, Bennet?' said Latimer. 'They were supposed to hand Trevellian's informant to Westlake's assault team and come straight back. I need them up here when Seline arrives.' 

'They should be back in time.' 

'It doesn't normally take this long to secure a person,' said Forester. 

Latimer started walking towards the stairs that led off the roof. 

'Where are you going?' said Bennet. 

'To find out what's taking so long.' 

Bennet shook her head. She followed Latimer and grabbed his arm. 'Trust them to do their jobs, and focus on yours.' 

Latimer slipped out of her grasp and began to walk towards the stairs, but he paused a few steps away. Regan listened and heard the faint sound of urgent footsteps. 

Latimer and Bennet exchanged a worried glance. 

The door at the foot of the stairs hit the wall as Westlake shouldered through it at speed. She took the stairs to the roof two at a time and almost tripped as she reached the top. Latimer and Bennet stepped back to avoid being run into. 

Westlake came to a halt, and doubled over gripping her knees. She looked at the ground and fought to stop her breath coming in long, dragging wheezes. 

She took a thick gulp of air before she spoke, and her words came out in one rapid burst. 'We have a serious problem.' 

Latimer's face was pale as he leaned down to help her. 'What happened?' 

Westlake put a hand on Latimer's shoulder to support herself and took two deep breaths. 'This.' 

Latimer looked down as Westlake's other hand came up holding her combat knife. 

Regan saw Latimer's head jolt as Westlake's blade stabbed upwards and plunged into the flesh under his chin. His eyes rolled back in his head, and a convulsive shudder went through his body as she gripped his shoulder and forced the blade up into his brain. 

Latimer started to raise his arm, as if his body hadn't yet realised what was going on, but his eyes were already vacant. Westlake twisted the blade and pulled it out in one quick motion as Latimer's fingers reached out towards the empty air. His arm went slack as the blade ripped out of his flesh, and he collapsed to the ground like a punch-drunk boxer falling to the mat.