Chapter Fifty-Four: The Unbroken Mirror

Ashcroft felt the seconds sliding by as she looked at Latimer. 'The special investigators have never asked for help before.' 

He looked up at her with the tired expression of a beaten man. There was something fragile about him, as if his body would crumble at the lightest touch. 

'The special investigators are finished. Unity has crossed lines that were inviolate until now.' 

'What do you mean?' 

'There used to be rules. There was a kind of understanding between us and the gangs.' 

Latimer reached into the pocket of his jacket and pulled out a crumpled ball of paper. He handed it to Ashcroft. 'That was left on the body of one of my investigators. In her house.' 

'Is this blood?' 

'Not just hers. Unity doesn't differentiate. It's not only the investigators who are the targets anymore. They know where we live, and they know how to find us. In the last few months, I've lost everyone. The ones who aren't dead have quit and gone to find safer jobs. Now, it's just me.' 

Ashcroft uncrumpled the paper. There was a red circle with three vertical slashes painted on it. 'Why haven't they gone after you?' 

Latimer gave her a hollow smile. 'I sleep in my office now. Besides--' Latimer tapered off and gave her an awkward smile. 'Well, you'd understand.' 

Latimer didn't need to say anything else. Ashcroft could feel the other unspoken reason hovering above their heads. He was alone. Being an investigator was all he had. 

'How do you know about Regan?' 

Latimer was silent. 

Ashcroft filled in the gaps. 'You have a special source.' 

'It doesn't matter how I know about her. The trials showed me everything I needed. I've never seen anyone with her speed, power and timing. She's perfect.' 

'She's a perfect murderer.' 

For the first time, some of the spark seemed to return to Latimer's eyes. 'I don't cast judgements on what she does; I just appreciate her skill at doing it.' 

'Fool. How do you think she became the way she is now? That's what people have been doing her whole life.' 

'When a tool for victory presents itself, I don't question it's source -- I don't have that luxury. From what I've seen, she's more than ready.' 

'She's ready when I say she's ready. That girl is more broken inside than you can imagine.' 

'You don't know everything, Ashcroft.' 

Ashcroft glared at Latimer. 'At least I'm willing to accept that fact. You have no idea what she's capable of becoming. There are depths of darkness that even you can't imagine.' 

Latimer let out a long sigh. 'I could get the department of investigations to lean on you.' 

Ashcroft waved away his threat with her hand. 'I know your bluffs too well, Latimer. The investigators were out of this fight long ago. If you want help, you're going to have to show some of your cards.' 

'At least let me talk to her.' 

Ashcroft folded her arms. 'You must be joking.' 

Latimer held up his hands in submission. 'I promise that the decision to release her will rest with you.' 

Ashcroft looked down at him suspiciously. 'It isn't like you to be so compliant. What's your game?' 

'I've grown older these past few months. I don't have the will to fight my friends anymore. I think it's time I told you a story. It's a story that Regan is part of too. You admonished me for thinking of her as a tool. Perhaps we should let her have a say in her own future?'