Chapter Twenty-Eight: Effortless Force

Kessler leapt from the roof of the wheelhouse and landed in a crouch at the edge of the circle of light with a deadened sound that had the finality of a coffin lid closing. The sleek black scabbards of the swords sheathed at her side gleamed ominously. Regan stalked back and forth, watching her like a tiger in a cage. 

Kessler rose and looked at Trevellian's crumpled form. Her gaze swept across to where Bastian knelt over Carver's body then finally took in Regan. She looked at the sword tied to Regan's hand, the wounds covering her body and the fresh blood streaming from the deep gash in the palm of her left hand. 

'I have to admit,' she said. 'I never thought I'd have to be the one to have to take you out. Then again, when you own a rabid dog, it's your responsibility to put it down. That said, it looks like most of my work has been done for me.' 

'You handed me over to these scurrying vermin to be gutted and thrown aside like garbage. I'd slaughter them a thousand times over to get to you.' 

'Stubborn. Do you really think you can face me as you are now? You're a broken, bleeding wreck. When I look at you I feel nothing but disappointment.' 

Regan watched as Kessler gripped the hilt of her sword and drew it slowly from its scabbard. She took her time and allowed Regan to see every inch of the familiar blade as she pulled it free. 

'I trained you to be a copy of me,' she said. 'Let's see how you compare to the original.' 

Regan didn't bother to respond. She flew at Kessler like a whirlwind had been unleashed inside her. Her sword struck sparks from Kessler's blade as she attacked with a raw, blood-driven ferocity. Kessler's face was calm as she blocked Regan's strikes, like she was assessing her style and assigning marks. She ducked backwards as a slash almost caught her in the chest. 

'You've learned to innovate,' she said. 'But the power behind your strikes comes at too much cost. True power is effortless.' 

Kessler struck out at Regan without a flicker of warning, and her blade hit Regan's sword with a ringing clash. The impact sent a wave of agony through Regan's broken fingers as she was thrown backwards by the force of the cut. Kessler flowed into the space, and suddenly Regan found herself pushed into the defensive as Kessler rained blows on her. Her arms shook as she blocked each shattering strike and fought to keep her sword from being torn aside. 

'Your speed is good, but you can't match my power,' said Kessler. 'My style is the ultimate evolution of yours.' 

Regan dodged and evaded Kessler's attacks, but each time she moved away, Kessler closed the distance and pushed her back with vicious cuts that she was forced to weather. With each clash her arms began to shake a little more. Kessler continued to pressure her, until finally she lashed out and caught Regan with a backhand that struck her across the mouth and sent her reeling backwards. 

'You've fought too many weaklings,' said Kessler. 'Your technique is getting lazy.' 

Regan wiped the back of her hand across her mouth. 'How about you write your observations on a piece of paper and save the running commentary.' 

'This is your final lesson: a lesson in clinical destruction.' 

'You can take your lessons with you to hell, Kessler. There's nothing you have that I want.' 

Regan sprang at her. The rain continued to drift down as the two of them met under the lights of the helipad. Far below them the sea pounded the hull of the ship as it plunged though the darkened sea. 

Regan fought with grim ferocity, but each time she found an opening, Kessler's sheer power pushed her back. The subtle difference in their styles put Regan on the back foot, and in each exchange she found herself being forced to defend against Kessler's heavy attacks. 

'It's obvious you're used to fighting with a shorter blade,' said Kessler. 'The difference in our experience is showing.' 

Regan twisted away from Kessler's sword as the blade whipped past her ear. 

'You won't be able to evade me forever.' 

Regan ducked under Kessler's sword and suddenly struck out, but Kessler shrugged off the attack easily. She whipped back with a slash that rang against Regan's sword and sent her skidding backwards along the wet deck. She slid out of the circle of light and hit the railing at the edge of the landing hip first. Kessler followed her into the darkness. 

'What will you do now?' she said. 'I've pushed you into a barrier and limited your angles of escape. You've been in enough fights. You should know how this is going to go.' 

Regan flicked her sword at Kessler's face and shifted sideways, but Kessler blocked her.

'You're trapped.' 

Kessler's sword came flying through the air. Regan barely had time to lift her own sword to catch it. Their swords met on an angle and there was a scream of shearing metal. Kessler's sword cut through Regan's like a saw cutting through ice. 

Kessler's expression was wolfish as she saw Regan's guard open up, but instead of retreating Regan threw herself forwards and caught Kessler's blade with her forearm. Her momentum carried her forward, and she slammed into Kessler as the blade dragged down her arm. There was an instant of confusion as they tangled together and hit the railing. Before Kessler had time to react, Regan grabbed her and they both fell over the edge, toppling into space. 

Regan saw the floors of the bridge stream past as the unforgiving metal deck rushed towards her. She landed chaotically with an impact that reverberated through the hull and made a sound like a block of concrete hitting a shipping crate. She hit the deck in a rolling crouch that shook her bones and blurred her vision, and staggered to her feet unsteadily. Blood ran freely down her useless left arm and dripped off her fingers. 

Kessler wasn't so lucky. She hit the deck on her side with stunning force and lay still. For a second, Regan wondered if she was dead, but before she could move Kessler rolled over and pushed herself to her feet with a rough cough. 

'I have to hand it to you,' said Kessler. 'That took guts. Not many people would be brave enough to step into an attack like that. You caught me by surprise, but it doesn't matter. You're losing blood fast, and now you have no weapon.'