Chapter Fifty: A Friendly Face

Bennet's shoes squeaked on the linoleum floor as she walked through the infirmary. Every third or fourth step, she skipped a little as if she was about to break into a run. She had a flash drive clutched in her hand with a copy of Regan's fight that she held like a precious jewel. She smoothly evaded a wheelchair being pushed in the opposite direction by a medic. There was a boy in it clutching a broken arm. Bennet turned off the corridor and opened a large, cream coloured door that led to the main ward. 

The ward was a long, low room with spaces for beds, which could be partitioned off with curtains that ran along aluminium rails attached to the roof. There were cupboards mounted on the wall with spare blankets and equipment, and a hand written sign taped beneath the clock that read 'Visiting hours finish at 8:00pm. Thank you for leaving on time'. All of the beds were currently occupied by people nursing various injuries. Bennet noticed that their clothes were almost uniformly covered with the tan coloured dust from the training grounds. Harried looking medics were moving from bed to bed. Some of them wore blue badges that said 'under assessment'. This was the other test; the mirror image of the fights in the arena. 

Bennet walked down the ward until she found Cesca. She was calmly tying a splint to a girl's finger, which looked as if it had been dislocated. The girl was trying not to let the pain show on her face, but her breathing was fast and shallow. Bennet watched Cesca's fingers as she tied off the splint with quick, delicate motions. 

'Bennet,' said Cesca. 'You look as if you want something.' 

'How much do you know about this Regan girl?' 

'Why?' Cesca's grey eyes were placid, but Bennet felt the intensity behind them. 

'I want to see her challenged.' 

Cesca nodded as if Bennet's answer matched a mental answer sheet in her head. 'You want to see her humiliated.' 

Cesca moved to the next bed and checked to see if the patient's plaster cast was dry. Bennet followed her. 

'She's dangerous and unstable. You must have seen it too.' 

'People are all different.' 

Bennet blocked Cesca's path as she tried to walk away. 'Don't try to dismiss me, Cesca.' 

'Oh my, you seem quite agitated.' 

'I'm not the only one. Ashcroft sees it too.' 

'Does she know you're here, I wonder?' 

'She's strong. Like, off the charts strong. I can't think of anyone with a chance of beating her, except you.' 

Cesca placed a hand on Bennet's arm. Her touch was gentle. 'There are times when we have to let go of things simply because they are heavy.' 

'I don't need platitudes. I need someone who can match that girl's skills.' 

'I'm happy now. Fighting was never for me. Silverwater has many strong fighters.' 

Bennet shook her head and held up the flash drive. 'I need someone with the ability to neutralise Regan. If I show you this, you'll understand why it has to be you.'

***

Sarafina looked at the stage. Pohlman was deep in discussion with one of the porters. 

'Something's happening,' she said. 

She saw Pohlman point in their direction and pull at his beard. He looked unhappy. 

'It's Bennet,' said Ashcroft. 'I told you that beating Kai wasn't the same as beating her.'